Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wood chunks

At what point do you stop adding wood chunks or chips to the lump?
·

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,863
    Light the lump in only one place, at the front on the top. Spread your smoke wood throughout the lump and it will smoke for a long time - hours. IMHO the meat only take on the smoke for an hour or two. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    shtgunal3 said:
    I only add at the beginning of the cook

+1
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,276
    If you mix them or spread them out when loading you shouldn't have
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 598
    I've read that meat stops taking on smoke color when the internal meat temp gets around 140 degrees.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Time for a refresher on meat and smoke flavor.  The smoke RING stops forming at 140 degrees.  This is the red coloring that forms at the edge of the meat.  The chemical reaction that forms the coloring can no longer occur above 140 degrees.  The smoke RING has nothing to do with smoke FLAVOR.

Smoke flavor is caused by smoke particles wihich are deposited on the surface of the meat.  As long as you have smoke present in the cooking chamber, you will be adding smoke flavor to the meat, no matter what the meat's temperature is.

If you would like confirmation, consult Harold McGee's book, "On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen."
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    edited May 2013
    @The Naked Whiz I'm assuming you've read the rest of that book.  What your opinion on it?  Sounds like something that's right up my alley as I enjoy the science of cooking as much as actually cooking!

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,611
    @dpittard Congrats on becoming an Egghead.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780

dpittard said:
    @The Naked Whiz I'm assuming you've read the rest of that book.  What your opinion on it?  Sounds like something that's right up my alley as I enjoy the science of cooking as much as actually cooking!
    I've used it more as a reference book than as a reading book.  But lots and lots of interesting stuff in there.  A lot is pretty technical, but you can get a lot from it.  I mean, can Alton Brown be wrong? :-)
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    @JRWhitee Thanks!  This weekend can't come fast enough!

@ The Naken Whiz Father Brown cannot go wrong!  Thanks for the quick review as well.  I'll definitely look into it.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
    ·