Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Control Temperature is Eggsasperating!

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with the temp on my egg. I'm doing pulled pork for the first time and the temperature has raced up to 350 on the dome and I'm struggling to get it down. Top vents now closed and bottom open about an inch if that. I'm worried the pork is going to cook too quick or that the fire will go out. Any advice.. One thing I was thinking was that I put quite a bit of charcoal in the box before I started as last time I didn't have enough and it burnt out

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Bottom should only be open about an 1/8th of an inch. It will take a while to bring the temp down. How did you light the charcoal?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Close everything down as much as possible without completely closing until you get to your desired temp, then open a bit at a time. Don't worry about the short time at 350*; you're probably 300 grate if you're just starting out.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911

Bottom should only be open about an 1/8th of an inch. It will take a while to bring the temp down. How did you light the charcoal?
    +1

Garnerville, NY
  • Mr_Egg
    Mr_Egg Posts: 13
    Ok thanks Is it ok to have the top shut and only bottom open? I lit the charcoal with a bge lighter left open till it disappeared then closed
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Mr_Egg said:

Ok thanks

Is it ok to have the top shut and only bottom open?

I lit the charcoal with a bge lighter left open till it disappeared then closed

Have the daisy wheel on but only open the petals a sliver. Close bottom vent as far as it will go without closing it. Like above, maybe 1/8 of inch. Will take some time to come down because the ceramic has absorbed the heat but grab a drink and wait it out.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    The BGE temperature is air-flow controlled.  Given you have fuel (lump) and an ignition source, the volume of air moving through the lump drives temperature.  At low&slow cook temps there is a small volume of lump that is burning at any one time.  The fire moves around the lump, thus the ability to run 20+ hours on one load of lump.  As mentioned above, you need to have the lower and upper vents open somewhat  for the thing to work.  Pork is very forgiving-just monitor for the final temperature (somewhere around 200*F) and when the bone pulls clean and you are finished.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mr_Egg
    Mr_Egg Posts: 13
    Thanks chubbs I guess patience is the key . Went shopping for some stuff and its down to sub 200 but that was with top closed. Opened a fraction and will wait to see where we get. Thank for your help - cracking open that beer now
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    In the future never totally close the top unless you want the fire out. It will cause the lump to smolder and give you a bad taste.
    Think of it this way, if you egg goes to 300 or 350 for 1 hour that is only a small time of the actual cook unless you are going turbo and you want that time anyway.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!