Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much wood for smoking butts?

Options
MJG
MJG Posts: 598
I am ready to go with my first smoke of Boston Butts in the LBGE. The lump is loaded but I am wondering how much wood to add in. I am using chunks of both Hickory and Apple. Thanks for any input.
Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Low and slow or another method? If less then 275* dome I'd say 2 chunks of each.  If going higher I'd use 3 or 4 chunks of each with one chunk of each really buried in the coals.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • EGGerAllanPoe
    Options
    I'm curious too. I used chips for my first butt and it was completely useless. I used chunks the second time, only added two chunks. I felt like it could have used more than that though.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I use 5 large chunks cooking 10lb butts.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I use pecan chunks to produce a maximum amount of smoke during the first two, to two and a half hours.  I think anything past that time does little good to add "smoke tastes" to the meat since it is basically sealed. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I'm curious too. I used chips for my first butt and it was completely useless. I used chunks the second time, only added two chunks. I felt like it could have used more than that though.
    Chips I've found to be pretty useless unless just looking to throw a little smoke on to a chicken breast or hamburger.  Chunks are the way to go.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    Options
    I use both chips and chunks and both give me a lot of smoke. I see no difference in the final outcome when using either one.
    Go Hogs Go
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    I like a pretty heavy smokey taste, so I go with 6-8 nice size chunks of hickory or pecan for a BB.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    I started with four fist-sized apple chunks but found that they burned up in about an hour. So, I added four more to get me through the first few hours (turbo method)
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I am doing a 10 pounder starting tomorrow night. Did not have any apple chunks, but did have apple chips, I am using about 4 fist fulls. 
    Large, small, and a mini