Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Built-in outdoor kitchen against a wall table

Options
Just bought a large big green egg and I am currently building an outdoor kitchen up against a privacy fence. The egg will be closed in on three sides between the countertop and platform the egg will sit on. I have three questions I have been wrestling with:

(1) how much clearance behind the egg for the lid to open?  I am estimating 12" but concerned it may be hard to get my hand between the fence and handle to lift the lid up and down.

(2) how much air space on the two closed sides and back? I am guessing I don't need more than about 6". It will be tiled with porcelain tile.

(3) distance from platform to top of counter?  I saw a post where someone added a cutout for the hinge so it could drop further down. I think that is a good idea. Anyone tried that and what would you do differently?

I am hoping I can learn some pitfalls before I learn them the hard way.

Thanks to anyone with suggestions or experience with any of these questions.

OhioBoomer

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Options
    1.  12" should allow enough space for the lid to open if the back of the egg is towards the fence, not sure what you meant about getting your hand back there to lift the lid????

2.  6" of air space sounds good

3.  Set the over all rim height or grid height at a comfortable level for you.  Make sure to figure in for the feet or table nest you might be setting the egg on.  Having an air gap under egg is a good idea to limit heat transfer.  How far out of the counter the egg sits depends on how you want it to look.  With that said it will be easier to have the hinge out of the table.
  • OhioBoomer
    OhioBoomer Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks yellowdogbbq. You confirmed my decisions should be ok.