Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me time these butts

Options

Struggling with when to start these butts and approx. how long they will take and how long they can be foiled and held before pulling.

Dinner is off-site; leaving the house at 4PM; would like to eat at 5:30.

I have a 7.5 pound bone-in butt and a 4.5 pound boneless.  Plan on cooking around 250.

I'm thinking of putting the big one on at midnight, go to sleep, and then put the small one on at 7AM.  Of course I'm afraid that the big one will be done too soon and not hold until eatin time.  I guess I could wait a bit to put it on, but I'd really like to get some actual sleep.

What would you do?

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I usually cook my butts at 275-300 and they usually go at about 1 hr per lb.  I don't use foil until I FTC.  If you got the big one on at 7AM and put the little one on at 10AM, that should give you the time you need.  You can bump the temp up or foil if things look like they're running slow.  I've FTC'd for two hours, but have heard of others going 4 hours.  Good Luck

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I think the big one should go on before 10 pm. You can FTC at least 5-6 hours safely but I like to keep it under 3 hours. That butt will prolly need 14-16 hours on the egg.

The small boneless I have zero experience with, but like I said you can FTC it a few hours. I'd give it at least 1.5 hrs per pound, just guessing. So, I'd start it with 7-8 hours on the egg and 2-3 FTC, so how about 7 am like you said.

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I cut 8lb in half, turbo... 3 4lb butts, 4 hours. Plus you get a little more bark.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I would get up at 7:00AM, put them on the egg in a REAL turbo style, meaning they will smoke for three hours, and finish (wrapped in foil) around 3:00 PM, then rested for a couple of hours, transported in their original foiled wrappings in the cooler.  Removed from the cooler "on site' and pulled as it is being served!!!
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Options
    Call me dumb
    What is FTC???

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited May 2013
    Options
    FTC is Foil, Towels, Cooler.  When the meat is cooked to the temp you want, wrap it in heavy duty foil, place in a cooler (You can pre warm the cooler by letting some hot water sit in it for 10 - 15 minutes, then dump out the water), and pack all the empty space with towels.  You can easily keep it hot this way for 4 hours minimum, some have gone 6 plus.