Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This thing still amazes me!

Options
Kosko
Kosko Posts: 535
After doing a 15 hour low and slow to a pork butt last weekend I took my plate setter out, stirred the lump around and found this much lump left! I can't believe how good on fuel or should I say HPL ( hours per lump) this thing is! image
Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Your "lump consumption" will increase as you burn up the gasket!
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Wow, that is good. The "used " lump is the best!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Yeah, I remember being so amazed by that.  The allure wears off, just like the buzz's you get when you first start smoking.  So, it's good to see a post like this to remind me of what i'm now taking for granted.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I just ordered the Rutland from RRP on the other forum. Eggs gonna get a spa day. I'm using a bag of lump for four cooks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. 

"ANY" air leak into your egg will keep your egg burning longer during shutdown, thereby consuming fuel(lump).

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. 
    Two weekends ago, filled the XL to the fire ring, smoked 40+ pounds of butts for 12 hours at 250  and still had over half the lump left, and charred but not consumed hickory wood.  Not only don't I have a gasket, I cleaned the remains off and reset the dome.  I'm smoking naked on the XL.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

"ANY" air leak into your egg will keep your egg burning longer during shutdown, thereby consuming fuel(lump).

Not only don't I have a gasket, I cleaned the remains off and reset the dome.  I'm smoking naked on the XL.
    Every egg is different and unique, some lids/bases line up, some don't.  After my original gasket burned up, I gave it a shot without a gasket -- burned up lump like crazy after the shutdown. Now I wouldn't even think about being without a Rutland.  I put the extra Rutland around the inside of my ceramic cap and get a nice tight seal when I'm done cooking - maximum lump savings...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    @Kosko, what type of lump did you use?  Last week I used Stubb's and couldn't get above 250 after 12.5 hours.  The brisket was the best ever.  But the last hour was in the oven.  Sure would like to know what lump you used. 

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I'm smoking naked... End quote @doc_eggerton

=D> =D>

On an xl at that
    8-}

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Kosko said:

After doing a 15 hour low and slow to a pork butt last weekend I took my plate setter out, stirred the lump around and found this much lump left! I can't believe how good on fuel or should I say HPL ( hours per lump) this thing is! image

That used lump gets hot so quick! It'll make a great pizza!!

I'm a year into a burnt gasket and feel I good get mileage out of my lump.

XLBGE 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I'm smoking naked on the XL.
    I didn't need to hear that this early in the morning
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
      I'm smoking naked on the XL.
    I wanted to like this post..... but didn't want to give Doc the wrong idea.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!