Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Spatchcocked Duck

thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,038
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Thought I'd try something new.  I'm a big fan of Maple Leaf Farm Ducks and have done too many breasts to count.  This was my first try of a whole 6 lb duck. 

Done on the bottom portion of my swing rack indirect w a drip pan.  Got the egg to 300.  At one hour I added 4 thin sliced Yukon Golds and 1/2 of a thin sliced Vidalia Onion w two sprigs of rosemary chopped off the stem.

Temp climbed to 350.

Final time was 3 hours.  Internal of 180.  Next time, I'll maintain temp at 275 and let more of the fat render, remove the drip pan and crisp the skin up a little more before the finish.

All in all, it was great and the potatoes were amazing.  I need to grill at least one duck per month.
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
Tampa Bay, FL
·

Comments

• NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,101
    Gorgeous!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    That looks very interesting --  i might (?) try it ???
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,111
    edited May 2013
    That looks amazing.  I am sure the taters cooked in duck fat were something special.  Really nice plated pics.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • CincyTikiCincyTiki Posts: 149
    Looks great. Did you add any wood to the lump?
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
    ·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,038
    Did a couple pieces of apple wood.  That's it
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Looks great!
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I think I would love to do a hanging duck to render the fat a bit more, but looks great.
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 990
    Great idea. I'm doing a Peking Duck this weekend for Mother's Day.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • cajunduckcajunduck Posts: 203
    We usually kill around 1200 ducks a season, and never even thought about spatchcocking one. Good idea!
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
    ·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,038
    CPARKTX said:
    Great idea. I'm doing a Peking Duck this weekend for Mother's Day.
    Please document
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • That looks sooo good.  Gotta try it.  Thanks and I love your beer selection.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    edited May 2013
    Looks great. I've heard duck fat has an incredible flavor, but I've only had Duck 1 time from a restaurant (4 slices of duck breast). I thought it was ok, but nothing fantastic. 
    Is it that good? What am I missing here? 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·