Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

XL Maiden Voyage... I'm smelling butts!

NO!!  NOT LIKE THAT!!

I thought about what to do for my first XLcook and it's hard to beat a butt unless you cook two!

Here's some pix:

I started them at 225 and went to bed.  I thought about going turbo in the morning, but I wanted more time cooking with my new toy.  I had to boost the temp the next afternoon so that we could eat at a decent hour.

Here's the cooked pre-pulled results.  As soon as I pulled the pork, I was attacked by ravenous animals!  I didn't get any further pix because a feeding frenzy was on and the camera was too close to the pork!

Thanks for looking!

.......................................................................................

Flint, MI

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,958
    Looks great!! What a great way to break in a new egg. Good job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,656
    Wow, everything is new! I always enjoy seeing break in cooks. Nice job on the butts!

FYI, it appears you have that cross bar on your nest in front when it is supposed to be across the back. Not sure it makes a difference structurally but moving it might spare your feet the pain of kicking it (especially since you Bedrock guys go barefoot) :))
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Yabba Dabba, way to break in the new Egg! Nice job Fred
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,953
    Cut those suckers open.  I wanna see the insides !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,443
    Nice butts Fred!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 7,086
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Wow, everything is new! I always enjoy seeing break in cooks. Nice job on the butts!

FYI, it appears you have that cross bar on your nest in front when it is supposed to be across the back. Not sure it makes a difference structurally but moving it might spare your feet the pain of kicking it (especially since you Bedrock guys go barefoot) :))
    I bought the nest and handler the same time as the egg.  The nest came with a cross bar and so did the handler.  I installed both (rear & front) for extra stability.  Should I stub my toe, the front one is easy to remove.   

.......................................................................................

Flint, MI

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,742
    Nice one Freddie. The butts look so tiny on there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,656
    R2Egg2Q said:

I bought the nest and handler the same time as the egg.  The nest came with a cross bar and so did the handler.  I installed both (rear & front) for extra stability.  Should I stub my toe, the front one is easy to remove.   

Ah, couldn't see the handler in your pic but that makes sense. I've been thinking about adding a handler to my XL. Looking forward to seeing you break in your new AR too.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 3,835
    Your butts look awesome! Nice job Freddie boy.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    ok, how wide is that spatula? looks perfect for the intended job of lifting Giant hunks o'meat
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,592
    Great looking butts there!!! Woot woot love the cook too!

XLBGE 
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 3,485
    Nice Egg, Nice Cook gotta love a new toy.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014
    Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia