Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket removal question

TonyA
TonyA Posts: 583
Anyone ever consider hitting the residue with a torch after scraping as opposed to the acetone?

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I used the 3M Paint & Rust Remover that The Naked Whiz recommended.

My large was burnt off, but my small had silicone residue after I peeled off the gasket and the sander are it up. Very very easy and no need to use acetone.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I recently changed the gasket on my small Ordered the Rutland, but as fate would have it, the replacement from the mothership arrived first so I put it on. After I scraped the the last cinders of the gasket off, I wish I had the paint stripper wheel. Oh well, tried to get off as much as i could with isopropyl alcohol then applied the gasket. If it doesn't last then i'll just apply the Rutland, but the gasket looks like it went on ok. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

I never opened the "Scouring Stick", the 3M Stripper removed the stubborn areas right down to bare ceramic surface.  The factory gasket was GONE completely, the "stubborn" areas was burnt adhiesive from the original gasket.  Prep work was done in less than an hour.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

I never opened the "Scouring Stick", the 3M Stripper removed the stubborn areas right down to bare ceramic surface.  The factory gasket was GONE completely, the "stubborn" areas was burnt adhiesive from the original gasket.  Prep work was done in less than an hour.

+1

I didn't buy the scouring stick. The 3M wheel did a great job getting everything off so I didn't see a need to run to the store to get a stick. I also didn't remove my domes.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

I used the paint stripper only.  No need for acetone or any nasty remover like that.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I did mine while the egg was warm. The gasket pulled right off. The tough spots came off with a putty knife.
    After I used fine sandpaper and sanded smooth as a baby bottom. Just make sure you remove all the dust with a damp rag.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!