Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken bombs and meatloaf - lots of pics

Hello All,
Finally caught up on some things I've been wanting to make today here we go:

Smoked meatloaf prep:

Did a slight twist on @Hapster's smoked meatloaf he shared here http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148388/smoked-meatloaf-catch-up-post-with-pics/p1. Added a few dashes of Worchestershire sauce to the ground beef, used all Cheese-It's instead of those plus breadcrumbs (2 1/3 cups total) and added an egg for binding. Also did not use the bacon (ran out wrapping the chicken bombs) and added a can of ortega chilis to the onion and bell pepper when browning (in olive oil). Put plastic wrap in a loaf pan to mold the meatloaf, chilled in the fridge, and removed wrap after turning out; that worked GREAT! Dusted with JohnHenry's Mojave garlic pepper then gave it a healthy coat of DP raising the steaks on top and some on sides.

Chicken bombs prep:

Bought chicken thighs and removed the bone and skin. Made cream cheese filling by mixing cream cheese with a couple shots of Frank's Red Hot, JH Mojave Garlic Pepper and a dash of Famous Dave's Devil's Spit. Cut jalapenos into boats (in half) and removed seeds but left some veins. Cut slices of bacon in half and laid them side to side on plastic wrap. Put a thigh on top then covered with another sheet of plastic wrap and pounded them out to a uniform thickness. Removed the wrap and added a stuffed jalapeno, then wrapped the whole thing over onto itself. The bottom plastic wrap made the rolling very easy. Dusted with JH Mojave Garlic Pepper then hit them with DP swamp venom. Chilled in the fridge.

From there started the fire and got it to ~325. BGE lump plus one big chunk of hickory started with paper towels and olive oil in three places. Basically set up direct, but at two levels.

Put the meatloaf on at about felt level and the chicken raised but not directly over the meatloaf (wanted to get a bit of a crust on the meatloaf and not have the drippings soften that. Let them camp at ~325 for 15min then ramped it up to ~385-400 for the rest of the cook.

After 40 min I sauced the chicken bombs with Famous Dave's Devil's Spit that I'd thinned out with apple cider vinegar and some homemade apricot preserves.

The chicken bombs hit 160 at about 50-60 min, and I pulled them and let them rest. The meatloaf got to 160 at about 80min.

Chicken bombs are VERY good. Nice heat, nice flavor, little crunch from the jalapeno. Will definitely be doing them again.

Meatloaf is also good, but it's begging for some mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. It's not bad on it's own, and will likely make great sandwiches, but just lacks a little seasoning. Might give it a run with some BBQ sauce as well.

Anyway, I'd wanted to try both of these and I'm very glad I did. Always good to have another option for dinners.

Cheers all -
B_B

The
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments