Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Centex gets mad at the Picanha

13»

Comments

• This is the next big thing......pincaha?  I don't think I can get that in VA....need to do some research.  The Queen will like this!

It's just sirloin cut a certain way so it leaves the fat cap on one side. You can find it there or just buy a sirloin and learn to cut it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The Cen-Tex Smoker  so then I deduce she is your SWMBO!  I didn't know the Girl on Grill had a website.  Could you post.  She was probably my least favorite personality on Food Network Star but I did like some of the things she cooked!
    To her ongoing horror, You would be correct. I don't know the website. Someone in here mentioned it so TFJ went looking for it and said it was using her avatar on the home page. She was really bummed. Thought she had an original name AND avatar. Nope.
    Are we talking about the Nikki Martin one or the facebook page? Nikki had to change her name to "grill next door" and the facebook page hasn't been updated in 7 months.

The mantle is TFJ's!

:ar!

• r270ba said:

The Cen-Tex Smoker  so then I deduce she is your SWMBO!  I didn't know the Girl on Grill had a website.  Could you post.  She was probably my least favorite personality on Food Network Star but I did like some of the things she cooked!

To her ongoing horror, You would be correct.

I don't know the website. Someone in here mentioned it so TFJ went looking for it and said it was using her avatar on the home page. She was really bummed. Thought she had an original name AND avatar. Nope.

Are we talking about the Nikki Martin one or the facebook page? Nikki had to change her name to "grill next door" and the facebook page hasn't been updated in 7 months.

The mantle is TFJ's!

:ar!

She will be pleased. Not sure which one. I'm getting all this 2nd hand. I've never heard of her.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This is the next big thing......pincaha?  I don't think I can get that in VA....need to do some research.  The Queen will like this!
    It's just sirloin cut a certain way so it leaves the fat cap on one side. You can find it there or just buy a sirloin and learn to cut it.
    +1. They actually didn't leave much of the fat cap on at the CM in Houston. The meat did taste mighty fine though, I'm going back for more sirloin if they have it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Neither had I. Google was my friend. Since you are the Internet Police, and she is SWMBO'ed...

:-?

She must be the Internet Commish. I'll defer to her final judgement.

• SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    This is the next big thing......pincaha?  I don't think I can get that in VA....need to do some research.  The Queen will like this!

It's the rump cap (top sirloin cap) that is found on a whole top sirloin block.  It's very easy to cut a picanha.  Not sure if I can link to an external site, but PM and I'll show you how to do it. 
  • Eggcelsior
    edited May 2013

It's the rump cap (top sirloin cap) that is found on a whole top sirloin block.  It's very easy to cut a picanha.  Not sure if I can link to an external site, but PM and I'll show you how to do it. 
    @SmoothSmoke, go ahead and link. Only selling stuff gets Poo-Poo'ed

EDIT: Unsolicited selling that is...
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Here is a link to a photo tutorial I did on how to cut off the picanha.

http://smoothsmoke.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-cut-picanha-from-whole-top.html

For a video reference, check this one.  Just remember to leave the fat cap on.  The picanha is the first cut he takes off which is the first 4 minutes of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqVyR9u-AEE
  • what the hell happened to all my pics? Were they always sideways? They are normal on my iPad/Iphone but now they are sideways on my windows laptop. That's it...I'm outa here.

• Foghorn said:

It turns out there is a reason that they make the skewers that big.  Apparently, when one cooks picanha on smaller skewers, the fat drips from the picanha and the picanha catches fire, as does the wooden handle on the skewer... 

Clearly, I'm no Centex.  I'm not even smart enough to put the wooden handle outside the grill...

It tasted great though.  Ended up a perfect rare in the thicker portions and medium in the thinner portions with mostly medium-rare.  Sorry there are no pics, I was busy playing fireman.

If you use the smaller skewers with wooden handles (not recommended for obvious reasons) you can extend their life by wrapping the handles in foil. I had a set that lasted quite a while but now I have joined the big boy club. I can see more skewers in my future. Damn you @caliking!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2013

what the hell happened to all my pics? Were they always sideways? They are normal on my iPad/Iphone but now they are sideways on my windows laptop. That's it...I'm outa here.

I think I've figured this out.  If you take the picture in portrait orientation, it will show sideways, unless you click on it for enlargement.  The software wants to show a picture with the width larger than the height.

Note:  Next time, (if there is a next time), please spell "outta" correctly.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

When CT does push ups, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the earth down.

Love that first pic with the swords and bravo to SWMBOed for making the pao de queijo from scratch. We were lazy and bought the pre-made ones in the frozen section at CM.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

This is a good series as well from the whole half carcass to final cuts. Guy is a bit dry but it is educational.

http://how2heroes.com/videos/techniques/beef-education-series-breaking-down-beef

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

what the hell happened to all my pics? Were they always sideways? They are normal on my iPad/Iphone but now they are sideways on my windows laptop. That's it...I'm outa here.

I think I've figured this out.  If you take the picture in portrait orientation, it will show sideways, unless you click on it for enlargement.  The software wants to show a picture with the width larger than the height.

Note:  Next time, (if there is a next time), please spell "outta" correctly.
    He did

Steve 

Caledon, ON