Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the ETA on the Baking Steels?

I imagine there's going to be a flurry of pizza egging and threads here. I'm ready to ge this started!  When are they coming???

Comments

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Should be shipping early this next week, Andris was gabbing them this weekend.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    For anyone who has one already (I know there are a few of you around here), does the steel build a layer of seasoning like CI or a pizza stone? If not, do you clean it after each cook?

Read something really interesting on Modernist Cuisine about using the steel as an antigriddle, but it seems like you'd want it very clean for that sort of thing.

Excited to see it show up soon.

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2013
    For anyone who has one already (I know there are a few of you around here), does the steel build a layer of seasoning like CI or a pizza stone? If not, do you clean it after each cook?

Read something really interesting on Modernist Cuisine about using the steel as an antigriddle, but it seems like you'd want it very clean for that sort of thing.

Excited to see it show up soon.

Cheers -
    B_B

Yes.  I did about 5 or so thin layers of seasoning, it will blacken when ready, and look similar to regular CI.  This is important.  I have left the steel in the egg with rain.  Although the rain spotted the finish, no rust occurred.  Take the time and season it properly and you will have no problems.

Have fun with it, lots of possibilities.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @Focker did you season it in the oven or in the egg?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Focker
    edited May 2013

@Scottborasjr, 500 in the oven for one hr.  Shut oven off, let steel cool.  Repeat as needed.  The "Miagi" wax oil on, wax oil off method works best here.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    @focker what oil did you use?
    Lynnwood WA
  • Focker
    edited May 2013

@double, Grapeseed oil.  You can find it in the health food section at most grocers.  Found it gives a better, deep, black finish compared to my other previous methods of Pam, EVOO, bacon fat, and veg oil.  lol 

With CI, I've had pieces turn brown and gray with using other oils/fats.  Pieces I've seasoned with Grapeseed turn a beautiful black and have held up with use.  

Every cook maintenance is done with Pam and a paper towel.  Wipe it as the steel warms up in the egg, after you clean it.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I season my CI with flaxseed oil and it does a beautiful job. I'll use it with my steel, too. I'm waiting for Brown Santa to bring me my steel.
    Flint, Michigan
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    @focker thanks have grapeseed in the pantry already. Seared some scallops with it last night. Wish I had had the baking steel!
    Lynnwood WA