Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket Separation Photo

BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,405
Not too long ago there was a brisket thread where someone posted a photo of a whole packer and photo shopped in lines to show where to separate the point and the flat.  I have a buddy in Wyoming that is new to egging and is doing his first packer this weekend.  I was hoping to point him toward that photo.  I have tried the search function, but can't seem to find it.  Thanks in advance to whoever may have it.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
·

Comments

• rtt121rtt121 Posts: 629
    This one?

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,405
    Not the exact one, but it will do the job.  Thanks rtt!

Mike

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,123
    Cen-tex didn't have a line superimposed on his pictures but he had a pretty good explanation in a thread I had a month or so ago.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149734/well-heres-the-brisket-that-started-stopped-started-stopped-then-started-again#latest
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,408
    There is a vein of fat that separates the 2. Just follow it down with your knife it will slide right between them.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,941
    edited May 2013

Try thirdeye's site. Playing with fire and smoke

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.ca/1996/03/brisket.html

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • B&BKnoxB&BKnox Posts: 225
    once the brisket is cooked and done or very close to done it will be very obvious, at least on the packers I have cooked it was.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,880
    rtt121 said:

This one?

Is that line in the wrong place?

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • This one?

Is that line in the wrong place?

If you are talking about the line between A & B on the actual photo, then yes.

·
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 629
    I think that line was for the grain.

If using that photo to find where to cut the point from the flat it would be the parallel line of white fat (parallel to the superimposed line) that touches the upper left corner of the "B"
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,405
    @R2Egg2Q  Thanks, that's is the exact one I was talking about.

Mike

Omaha, NE
    ·