Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Jacaard...OMG

njlnjl Posts: 771
I found a nice little pair of porterhouse steaks for Sunday dinner, and decided to try out my new Jacaard on the strip side of each of them.

imageimage

Wow.  It made the strip side of these steaks as tender as tenderloin.  Only "problem" was, I'd read in the instructions that it would reduce cooking time, but that slipped my mind while grilling them...and I kind of babied the tenderloin sides, keeping them to the outside edge of the grill.  By the time the strip sides were as done as I wanted, the tenderloin sides were still very rare...but hey, I like very rare steak...so it wasn't really a problem.  These were 2.3lbs together...I finished mine.  My wife only ate half of hers for dinner.

Comments

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,380
    Looks damn good. :-bd

LBGE,SBGE Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,223
    I have ebbs and flows with the Jaccard-about the only hunk of meat that I even think about using it on is a brisket flat-curious as to what prompted you to give the porterhouse strip a shot.
    Louisville
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
    edited May 2013
    I had to look up "Jaccard". I wouldn't think a porterhouse steak would need any tenderizing. Sounds like it worked out great though.

I use the old hammer with cleats on it for tenderizing.  I think the only cuts I use it on are flank steak and, sometimes, skirt steak.  Also, chicken breasts when I want to flatten them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,595
    I would eat that
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,893
    edited May 2013
    @njl - Great looking steaks and welcome to the Jaccard club. Which one(s) do you have?
    I use mine (15 knife) on strip loin and sirloin all the time. We seldom cook T-bones anymore for exactly the reasons you state and our senior citizen stomachs can't eat that much anymore. 
    The 45 knife unit is excellent for round roast/steak that you are marinating, deli slice or stir fries. Not only does it tenderize it really helps the meat take on the flavor of the marinade. Using the Food Saver marinating dish, the taste can almost be too strong. 
    Pork loin, either roast or cut into chops is also a good use of the Jaccard. 
    Originally I bought the 45 knife for cutlets/schnitzels, makes a very tender schnitzel without flattening the meat. Boneless skinless chicken breast flattens and tenderizes very well.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • I would say to be careful eating meats that are cooked under 140 internal once you hit them with the Jaccard. You are essentially eating ground beef once you take all the contamination from the outside and shove it inside with the Jaccard. I would treat it the same (because it is the same).

Not saying don't, just know that there is a risk to it. 

• scooter759scooter759 Posts: 242
    @njl - Great looking steaks and welcome to the Jaccard club. Which one(s) do you have?
    I use mine (15 knife) on strip loin and sirloin all the time. We seldom cook T-bones anymore for exactly the reasons you state and our senior citizen stomachs can't eat that much anymore. 
    The 45 knife unit is excellent for round roast/steak that you are marinating, deli slice or stir fries. Not only does it tenderize it really helps the meat take on the flavor of the marinade. Using the Food Saver marinating dish, the taste can almost be too strong. 
    Pork loin, either roast or cut into chops is also a good use of the Jaccard. 
    Originally I bought the 45 knife for cutlets/schnitzels, makes a very tender schnitzel without flattening the meat. Boneless skinless chicken breast flattens and tenderizes very well.

@skiddymarker - I got turned on to schnitzel at a place near San Antonio about ten years ago. Do you have any good recipes for breading or sauces (jäger or rahm cream)? Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread.
    Extra Large, Large & Medium eggs, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,893
    edited May 2013
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - great advice. Everything that the Jaccard touches is cooked to at least 140. Unfortunately, there is a good chance that the steak you buy may have been commercially "knifed", sometimes the label says so. @scooter759 - We prefer pork loin (one of those big cryovac <$20 ones) or chicken cut to about 1/2" thick, fat trimmed completely, Jaccarded, pounded with a skillet to about 1/4". Standard breading line: dry dredge - 1/3 cornstarch, 2/3 flour; dip in beaten eggs; dredge in bread crumbs. Use dry/old french bread crumbs (no panko) with 1 Tbs flour and 1 Tbs corn flake crumbs per cup of bread crumb. S&P to taste. Don't press the crumbs too hard onto the schnitzel.  In a 12" skillet fry using canola, corn or veggie oil, enough to just float the schnitzels. When they are ready to flip, add 1 Tbs butter in the center and swish them around. Oil for heat, butter for taste. Remove, pat dry and serve. We use lemon to season. Our German friends use Knorr Hunter's Gravy if they sauce. I'll ask her about a cream sauce. I sometimes add spices to the flour dredge and dijon to the egg wash - she just shakes her head and tells me I'm a dum-kopf. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 3,848
    I use eye of round for jerky, sliced with the grain and jaccard like crazy.  Minimum fat contents, absorbs the marinade well, still has the pull yet tender.
    Vaughan, Ontario

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,116

This is one of the nicest ones I've seen. It does everything.

http://www.butcherskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/BK_Impressor_Plus.pdf

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini