Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland gasket for small egg?

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
My small egg's gasket (old style, grey wool) is toast. I find gaskets comforting, so I am planning on replacing it.

Called the mothership this morning and basically said that the gasket for my small egg was done, and Bruce just asked for my name and address and said he was shipping me a new one. Very pleasant chap to deal with.

Then I started wondering if a Rutland gasket would be better in terms of providing a better seal when I shut the egg down after cooking, and as a better cushion between the dome and base. Would I order the 5/8" or 1/4" flat rope gasket from Rutland? I already have some permatex to stick it to the base.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Yes, I have the rutland on my small and its night and day better than anything BGE offers. I have their newest Hi temp ones on the large to compare.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yes i have Rutland on my large, small & mini BGE's...go for it...
  • caliking
    Options
    Rutland it is then.

@vidalia1 & @Aviator: which Rutland rope gasket did you use? Same one for the small and the large?

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yes the same one...just less of it...LOL
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    I've thought about this as well.. What size would you use?

http://www.rutland.com/productinfo/stove-gasket-kits.html
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • caliking
    Options
    The Naked Whiz site has instructions for the 5/8 " flat one, which I guess is the product 96 W-6. W= wide?

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    Thanks! I was searching at work and saw that link but was a bit worried about going to nakedwhiz.com on the work computer.. :D
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • carter422
    carter422 Posts: 58
    Options
    Buy the 3M wheel is works great.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I tend to almost always load my small egg to the max so I don't like the idea of a fiberglass gasket when I have food that sometimes touches it when I am flipping / rotating a full small egg. 

I would have no problem using it on my large and by no means discourage you or anyone else from putting it on any egg. Just throwing out my thoughts with how I use my small egg. I will continue to use the free gaskets BGE sends me when it goes bad. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    Options
    @Solson005 - duly noted. You raise a good point. To be honest, I am not too concerned about ingesting some of the fiberglass fibers (bravado vs. ignorance on my part?) - probably a very small amount if that did happen. They will likely get somewhat matted down after a few cooks anyways. Inhalation in larger quantities  would be a  different matter.

But you are right that the replacement gasket is free, so I'll consider just giving that a whirl and see what happens. I do kinda like the idea of the rutland gasket providing a better for seal for when the egg is shut down and cooling off. I feel that my small takes a long time to cool down because of air leaking in.  

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I usually am at a friends house cooking for a group and fill up the small almost everytime I use it. I don't know if I'm not focused on the cook as much but my food has hit the gasket more than I would like to admit.. :-B

I'm sure the tiny amount that potentially might come off in the food wouldn't be that bad as you said.

My high temp gaskets on both eggs have held up very well, but I in the clean burn is not needed camp and don't let it go full blast.. Changing two gaskets on two eggs in over 3 years so I will stick with the free ones. However if yours cools down considerably faster with a Rutland I will defiantly entertain the idea.. Especially when tailgate season rolls around.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.