Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does cast iron cooking grid need seasoned?

Options
I am thinking with a high temp cook the seasoning would burn off, so I am thinking it's not necessary, and if that is the case what do you do to prevent rusting? Thanks for the help!
McAlester, Ok. Large and Mini Egg

Comments

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    I don't season unless I'm doing a clean burn and the CI grid is dirty enough to keep in. I then just brush it off and spray with Pam.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

I keep trying to do mine but it never seems to take

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• okienine
    okienine Posts: 43
    Options
    Thats about what I figured... I'm just being too particular I guess.
    McAlester, Ok. Large and Mini Egg
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    the basic sentiment of the advice I received when I got mine was: Just cook a nicely marbled steak, and enjoy.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I don't season unless I'm doing a clean burn and the CI grid is dirty enough to keep in. I then just brush it off and spray with Pam.

Me too....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Every few hot cooks, I'll just give it a quick rub with some grape seed oil, or spray with Pam during cool down and it's stayed nice and black and rust free.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I washed mine in soapy hot water and soaked it down with Pam before its first use, but I have no "control" grid to tell if it did any good or not.  And living here in the high desert, rust is never a problem.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.