Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse-Sear Beef, it's Whats for Dinner!

Options

Decided on burgers and fries for Saturday night since I didn't feel like leftovers.

Did a grind of 1lb chuck, 8oz brisket, 8oz short ribs and 3oz fat.  All grinder components were in the freezer for about 30 minutes and the cubed up beef for 15 minutes.  Caught the grind into a ice-bathed container, vacuum sealed up a pound, then formed up an 8oz patty for me and a 6oz for the wife (salt/pepper only).  I placed the CI grate between the fire box and fire ring after firing up the egg.  After heating up, I put in the plate setter and s/s grate and waited for her to come up to 300.

In the meantime, I portioned off 1/4" French fries that were boiled for 4-5 minutes then place on paper towels to dry.  I fired up the Presto Kettle with canola oil and waited for 350 to come about.  When the Egg stabilized at 300, I put on the burgers.  Pulled mine at 130 and hers at 145, placed under foil, yanked the s/s grate and fire ring and let the Egg rip to 650.  Started my first batch of fries for 6-7 minutes and finished off with Kosher salt.  When the Egg stabilized at 650, finished the burgers for 60 seconds each side and completed batches of fries between it all :)

I liked the burger but a little too done for me so I'll adjust for next time.  My wife didn't like the taste, said it didn't taste like a burger, that it was "barnyardy."  The CI grate was directly on the coals so that could have affected the taste but other than that, not too sure...at least she liked the fries :)

Comments