Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

11:00 AM - Is it too late to start a 5 pounds picnic shoulder for a pulled pork diner?

paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,330
I usually do overnight cooks when cooking pork shoulders but I never cooked a small piece of meat like this one...

Comments

• paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,330
    Forgot to mention it is bone-in

Go turbo and it should be ready in time for a meal this evening. Indirect at around 350 should get you there
    ·
    @hapster would you foil it after a few hours?

even at 300* which ends up usually being around an hour per lb, you should be fine...IMO
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,197
    I don't think you'll need to foil
    ·
  • I've done several and they turn out fine.  You might consider injecting with some apple juice and cook at 325.  I like to foil and rest the meat before digging in
    ·
    Thanks everyone.  What was supposed to be a 15 minutes nap ended up as the full afternoon sleeping... The pulled pork will have to wait until tomorrow.  Tonight will be a rack of pork loin sous vide finished on the egg.

For the 5 pounds pork shoulder tomorrow.  Should I expect a stall?  Will it be shorter or same duration as a 11-12 pounds shoulder?

At turbo speed the stall does not get to play-you power thru it, thus the shortened cook-time, or so the turbo cooks express.  I'm sure they will be along shortly. 
    Louisville
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,022
    I have done 10 pounders at 350 all the way thru with no foil and no stall Took about 7 hrs on the egg

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·