Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

smoking question

So I have a real question for once. I am getting peach wood for smoking, has anyone used it and for what? Not sure why I got it seems to be very popular, just wondering.  Thanks
·

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,031
    edited April 2013
    Peach is, IMHO, good for all light meats, chicken, turkey and pork loin. Never tried it with fish. My experience it is a milder wood. 

Never bought it, just from a friends "tree". My goto is apple. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,223
    It will go with anything IMO. I always use lighter woods (fruit) on anything but beef. Hit beef a little harder.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • @skiddymarker, thanks that helps, i thought about salmon, I use sliced peach on it anyway.

@chubbs yes I would agree fruit is mild, and not for beef. Thank you sir.
    ·
  • The coolest thing about fruit woods is if you brine your meat the fruit flavor really comes through in the meat. I use cherry for brined chicken and you can really taste the cherry. it's not subtle. 

I do it on wings with a sweet/spicy rub and glaze and the cherry just pops. I'm sure peach would do the same. It adds a whole other flavor dimension so try it with something brined........

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280

The coolest thing about fruit woods is if you brine your meat the fruit flavor really comes through in the meat. I use cherry for brined chicken and you can really taste the cherry. it's not subtle. 

I do it on wings with a sweet/spicy rub and glaze and the cherry just pops. I'm sure peach would do the same. It adds a whole other flavor dimension so try it with something brined........

It does pop I brined big chops and reverse sears with heavy peach at 200. Balsamic glaze to finish. Amazing. I have done salmon with 1 chunk of peach it's subtle enough it doesn't overpower.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    Peach is my favorite all around wood.  I use it for anything/everything.   Peach just smells great, love hanging around the egg after throwing it in.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • SPRIGSSPRIGS Posts: 214
    Peach has become my favorite. Still use oak on brisket but use peach for everything else. Mix peach with oak or hickory for ribs and butts.
    ·
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    I like Peach, IMHO, because the flavors resulted are mild, light  ..nice with meats such as chicken, fish, pork...also misc. condiments.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
    ·
  • I use peach on everything.  I use different wood from time to time just for something different.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • rsmith193rsmith193 Posts: 219
    We have had very good results using Peach wood on our pork butts. It adds a new level to the flavor profile.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I mainly use pecan, but it is strong, and i have had trouble with it overpowering certain foods, i have to pick up some peach and use it on more of my cooks!!
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,031
    The coolest thing about fruit woods is if you brine your meat the fruit flavor really comes through in the meat. I use cherry for brined chicken and you can really taste the cherry. it's not subtle. 

Interesting, always learn something here. Although I do brine, I always assumed it was the brining made the rub more intense, maybe it is a combination of smoke and rub. (Usual is a smoky Ozark rub for chicken)
    It is time to try 1/2 chicken without rub and and 1/2 with rub using some cherry smoke to see how it compares. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    I use peach and pecan mixed on all my pork.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Thank you all, I just got a chicken, so sunday I am going to try the peach, you guys all rock no matter what anyone says. Thank again. ^:)^
    ·