Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Burgers!

Hey guys. Looking for a good burger recipe. Any ideas? I'm feeding 14 and my large BGE is ready to feed the crowd. Anyways, just looking for pointers. Thanks
Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
·

Comments

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,799
    What I have learned is to get a meat grinder and make your own ground meat.  I used brisket, chuck and pork shoulder - They were incredible.

Cooked at 450 raised direct.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,244
    edited April 2013
    For burgers, I keep my seasoning simple. Generous salting (similar to how I salt a steak) and fresh ground pepper. When I want a lil kick, I'll use Tony's Creole Seasoning instead.

Where I set my burger off is it's toppings and bread. The burger I posted on Wednesday was topped w/ bacon, avocado, sharp cheddar, leaf lettuce, tomato, pickle, and mayo. I really like to use different types of bread. Sourdough and chibatta are good breads for burgers and alot more interesting than traditional aisle buns. For my last burger, I picked up some nice kaiser rolls from the bake shop and they were great.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,244
    robnybbq said:

What I have learned is to get a meat grinder and make your own ground meat.  I used brisket, chuck and pork shoulder - They were incredible.

Cooked at 450 raised direct.

That is the goods right there!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • Make sure you have an 80/20 ground mix and make your patties at least 1/3lb. I like to add my spices to my ground beef before I make my patties. Salt, pepper, ground cummin, paprika and some type of pepper (I've been using Ancho or Chipotle lately).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I'll mix one egg per pound and crushed crackers to the meat. Then, add some A1, Worcestershire sauce, and a little season salt. Mix by hand, but be careful not to over mix.
    ·
  • 0oHUNTo00oHUNTo0 Posts: 34
    What dome temp do you shoot for? Ive heard 450 to 650?
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
    ·
  • 0oHUNTo00oHUNTo0 Posts: 34
    I plan on doing about 450 direct on my cast iron grate. 1 egg per pound, with the classic seasonings. I like the idea of bacon, avocado, etc. I'll also stop by my local bakery and get some good bread. 

Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472
    edited April 2013

By far my best way is to have a brisket ground into hamburger grind. Then mix with chopped red onion and rub. I use cherry and pecan wood for smoke. Cherry gives color. 400/450 Direct....

imageimage
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • pflugpflug Posts: 27
    Any guidance on the ratio of the brisket, chuck and pork shoulder?
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,799
    I did a 4 lb pork shoulder, 4 lbs of chuck and a 2 lb brisket.  It worked well for me.  made burgers and meatloaf a few days later.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472
    pflug said:
    Any guidance on the ratio of the brisket, chuck and pork shoulder?
    for mine: 100% brisket
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    Dumb question....But if you used the shoulder wouldn't you have to cook it to well done since there would be ground pork in it?
    ·
  • BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 523
    145 degrees for pork is the new guideline.
    Edina, MN

·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 417
    Check out what she does here with Turkey Burgers-

It's originally from the site use real butter.  We made them the other night and they are fantastic!  You may not want to go with all turkey burgers, but I am sure you will impress your guests who choose turkey-  I did add about 1/4 cup of worcestershire sauce to mine and like the way it worked- 

·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    Budgeezer said:
    145 degrees for pork is the new guideline.
    That's not for ground pork.   That's for whole pork.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352

I don't like binders in burgers. I use dehydrated onion flakes. They absorb the juice and fat and hold the burgers together. I find I can get away with leaner beef doing this. Not being good at recipes or following them I'll list the ingredients.

Ground beef/pork

Worchestershire

Fish sauce or chopped anchovies

Fresh pepper

Garlic or granulated garlic

Cayenne or dry chilies

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,611
    nashbama said:
    I'll mix one egg per pound and crushed crackers to the meat. Then, add some A1, Worcestershire sauce, and a little season salt. Mix by hand, but be careful not to over mix.

What does the egg do? Never done that before.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Hi54putty said:
    nashbama said:

What does the egg do? Never done that before.
    Acts as a binding agent.
    ·
  • Duganboy said:

Acts as a binding agent.
    Only needed it you're using leaner ground.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.