Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Prices

What do people pay for pork? 

In CT:
Butt: $2.49-$2.99 
Picnic: $1.99-$2.49
Loin: $2.49-$4.99
Baby Backs: $2.99-$4.99
Whole Spares: $1.99-$3.99

Boutique Butchers I 'can' pay as much as $7.99 for whole shoulder if I choose - welcome to the Gold Coast!

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

Those prices seem very high to me(Florida).  Now i pay more for my meats and poultry because i buy local FRESH products.  But the big box store sale prices are:

Butt:   $1.49

Picnic  $1.29

Loin    $1.99

Baby Backs   $2.49

Whole Spares  $1.59

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Middle tn is a whole lot higher
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    In Toronto if I shop at ethnic meat shops or Asian market I can get the prices you mentioned.  If I stick to traditional grocery channels the prices are $1-$2/lb more expensive except on front page ads.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    @charlie tuna What are the local prices like. That 7.99 is 150 mile radius
  • We had a sale down here in Louisiana last week and could buy Boston Butt for 99 cents pr pound Did I ever stock up, you bet ya!

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited April 2013
    @TonyA, those are the same prices that I see, too, in Philly. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Same here.  Food Lion is running a sale right now; Boston Butt for $1 a pound.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    TonyA said:
    @charlie tuna What are the local prices like. That 7.99 is 150 mile radius

I buy from a local butcher shop that buys and sell local meats and poultry, plus veggies.  His prices are maybe 15 percent higher, but his chickens and meat is trimmed properly and not watered down -- that alone makes up the difference in cost.  Fresh chicken makes a MAJOR difference in taste!!!  Same with his butts !! 

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    BigWader said:
    In Toronto if I shop at ethnic meat shops or Asian market I can get the prices you mentioned.  If I stick to traditional grocery channels the prices are $1-$2/lb more expensive except on front page ads.
    Same here in Austin TX. The best meat I can find that's unadulterated is in asian grocery stores. It's fresh and meat dept staff is very helpful.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein