Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dirty Platesetter

After a batch of hamburgers Monday and Chicken legs today', there is a lot of grunge on the Platesetter After taking food off, turned it over and put it back in legs down to burn it off Is this what the majority does ?

Comments

• caneggercanegger Posts: 538
    I just cook on it again. Maybe someday i'll clean.
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,564
    clean burn or make pizza
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Don't worry about it -- it will get dirty at times and clean at other times.
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    + on that...although sometimes I'll do a hi temp burn to clean.  PS, AR, stones.  Being that I already fried my gasket yet again.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,341

clean burn or make pizza

If it bothers you too bad do this :)

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,341
    That's early in the seasoning process :) just let it do what it do and eventually the whole thing will be black and seasoned.

Don't worry about it -- it will get dirty at times and clean at other times.

Depending on the cooks, somedays it dark and has moles all over it, some days one side is almost white :)

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I usually protect mine with thin foil, but if it get bad, i take a putty knife and scrape off the surface dirt.
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,210
    If I'm doing something especially drippy ill wrap it in foil. Otherwise, just let it go...

The inside of my egg looks like a well seasoned wok.
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 507
    I have an old floor scraper (clean and with new blade) that I use to scrape the gunk off mine every so often.   I just scrape it into the grass and the dogs take care of the evidence.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 2,102
    Spatula or putty knife and scrape right into the firebox. Done.
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,295

Mu platesetter is still white. The legs are black. I foil mine. I read that it will leave a bad flavor on the meats if the drippings start to burn. Yes No?

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

• I always use my drip pan lined with tin foil with the small air gap below.  I've got a 14" round cake pan that fits perfectly on my large placesetter.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014