Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dirty Platesetter

After a batch of hamburgers Monday and Chicken legs today', there is a lot of grunge on the Platesetter After taking food off, turned it over and put it back in legs down to burn it off Is this what the majority does ?
·

Comments

• caneggercanegger Posts: 537
    I just cook on it again. Maybe someday i'll clean.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,405
    clean burn or make pizza
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Don't worry about it -- it will get dirty at times and clean at other times.
    ·
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    + on that...although sometimes I'll do a hi temp burn to clean.  PS, AR, stones.  Being that I already fried my gasket yet again.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,301

clean burn or make pizza

If it bothers you too bad do this :)

XLBGE 
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,301
    That's early in the seasoning process :) just let it do what it do and eventually the whole thing will be black and seasoned.

Don't worry about it -- it will get dirty at times and clean at other times.

Depending on the cooks, somedays it dark and has moles all over it, some days one side is almost white :)

XLBGE 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I usually protect mine with thin foil, but if it get bad, i take a putty knife and scrape off the surface dirt.
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,052
    If I'm doing something especially drippy ill wrap it in foil. Otherwise, just let it go...

The inside of my egg looks like a well seasoned wok.
    ·
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 507
    I have an old floor scraper (clean and with new blade) that I use to scrape the gunk off mine every so often.   I just scrape it into the grass and the dogs take care of the evidence.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,803
    Spatula or putty knife and scrape right into the firebox. Done.
    ·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,262

Mu platesetter is still white. The legs are black. I foil mine. I read that it will leave a bad flavor on the meats if the drippings start to burn. Yes No?

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

·
  • I always use my drip pan lined with tin foil with the small air gap below.  I've got a 14" round cake pan that fits perfectly on my large placesetter.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·