Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Pizza Crust?

I've cooked a lot of pizza, but I always use crust bought from the local bakery.  I've tried homade once before and it was a disaster.  Anyone have a fool (me) proof dough that doesn't need to sit overnight.  I'm having pizza tonight and would like to mix it up some.

Comments

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,748
    edited April 2013
    1.5 tbs of yeast
    1 cup warm water, just warm, let the yeast sit in the water until it bubbles (about 5 min)

2 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbs sugar

mix all ingredients in stand mixer, mix on slow till a dough ball is made around the bread hook.  remove and knead a ball on a mat that has loose flour sprinkled on it.  then i just let the ball sit for while I'm doing the other stuff maybe 30 min.  When making pies i like to par bake it on a non stick sprayed aluminum pan for 5-7 min until done enough to move off easy.  this is not needed but I'm not very good at moving the raw pies, thinking about getting a super peel. 
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,583
    edited April 2013

Zippylip's recipe is solid, and a good starting point.  It was my first scratch-made dough recipe.  Other than that, I would maybe pick up a doughball from your favorite local pizza joint. 

And next pizza session, manage the time to allow for a longer fermentation.  

http://s330.photobucket.com/user/schwansonlip/media/Pizza/229404c7.pbw.html

"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun.
     And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son."--Josh Thompson

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,004
    Our "same day" crust mix is similar to the above except, only 1 tsp of yeast. After mixing, it goes into an oiled bowl, covered and let rise for an hour or two, then work out onto the same PC mat as @MrCookingNurse
    This mix even works in a skillet for deep dish, although a Tbs or two of corn meal is nice. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,748
    @focker

really enjoyed the video thanks for positing!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
  • jjmillsjjmills Posts: 75
    Thanks for the imput.  I was just at the local grocery store salad bar loading up on fresh cut veggies.  I don't have any yeast at home. The kids are napping and wife working so I'm going to have to try homemade on Sunday.
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 556
    I think that you should try the Tipo 00 flour sold by Antimo Caputo.  I did 4 pizzas last weekend that were out of this world.  I got my dough recipe from a pizzamaking forum and it is great.  I will post the recipe for a 14" pizza when I get home later tonight.  You won't be disappointed.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,572
    This is a great dough recipe from Serious Eats. I highly recommend it.