Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza Crust?

I've cooked a lot of pizza, but I always use crust bought from the local bakery.  I've tried homade once before and it was a disaster.  Anyone have a fool (me) proof dough that doesn't need to sit overnight.  I'm having pizza tonight and would like to mix it up some.
·

Comments

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,306
    edited April 2013
    1.5 tbs of yeast
    1 cup warm water, just warm, let the yeast sit in the water until it bubbles (about 5 min)

2 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbs sugar

mix all ingredients in stand mixer, mix on slow till a dough ball is made around the bread hook.  remove and knead a ball on a mat that has loose flour sprinkled on it.  then i just let the ball sit for while I'm doing the other stuff maybe 30 min.  When making pies i like to par bake it on a non stick sprayed aluminum pan for 5-7 min until done enough to move off easy.  this is not needed but I'm not very good at moving the raw pies, thinking about getting a super peel. 
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
    ·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,923
    edited April 2013

Zippylip's recipe is solid, and a good starting point.  It was my first scratch-made dough recipe.  Other than that, I would maybe pick up a doughball from your favorite local pizza joint. 

And next pizza session, manage the time to allow for a longer fermentation.  

http://s330.photobucket.com/user/schwansonlip/media/Pizza/229404c7.pbw.html

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    Hollin' bout huh, egga what!?  Huh, give a Fock egga what!?
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,145
    Our "same day" crust mix is similar to the above except, only 1 tsp of yeast. After mixing, it goes into an oiled bowl, covered and let rise for an hour or two, then work out onto the same PC mat as @MrCookingNurse! ;
    This mix even works in a skillet for deep dish, although a Tbs or two of corn meal is nice. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,306
    @focker

really enjoyed the video thanks for positing!

XLBGE 
    ·
  • jjmillsjjmills Posts: 75
    Thanks for the imput.  I was just at the local grocery store salad bar loading up on fresh cut veggies.  I don't have any yeast at home. The kids are napping and wife working so I'm going to have to try homemade on Sunday.
    ·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 617
    I think that you should try the Tipo 00 flour sold by Antimo Caputo.  I did 4 pizzas last weekend that were out of this world.  I got my dough recipe from a pizzamaking forum and it is great.  I will post the recipe for a 14" pizza when I get home later tonight.  You won't be disappointed.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    This is a great dough recipe from Serious Eats. I highly recommend it.
    ·