Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Final confirmation before first butt

So....after more than a month of ownership I finally have a free Saturday to do some butts! I've been reading threads and waiting for my chance, so I I'm ready. Just looking for confirmation from all you experienced folks to make sure I'm not missing something. Here goes: --will defrost two ~ 5lb bone-in butts tomorrow --will cover with mustard and rub of choice on Friday and allow to sit in fridge overnight --going turbo on Saturday! Will do PS legs up, grate with drip pan, then raised grate with both butts just above that. --will cook at ~275 until internal reaches 160, then foil and increase temp to 325-350 until I hit internal temp~200 or until bone pulls easily. --will FTC for an hour or so before using my bear claws to pull, hit with some good eastern NC sauce,and serve. Sound about right?? All tips and suggestions appreciated before I finally get the chance to do the cook that motivated the EGG purchase in the first place.....

Comments

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Sounds like a good plan!!! Good luck with the cook!!!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Sounds like the place to be on Saturday night will at your house!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • It sounds you have a good handle on it.  As long as the drip pan is off the platesetter like on ceramic feet, or copper tees or on stacks of washers, the second grate is unnecessary.  I use copper tees.  The extra space you save might come in handy some day.  Have fun! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Dome or grid temp?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Don't forget to put some smoke on the first part of the cook!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Sounds like a good plan for a great day of Egging, Have a blast.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Why are you foiling at 160? I would just let it ride to 200 or so without opening the lid. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Good luck!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Well, your temps depend on fully thawed meat.  I don't know how you are defrosting but I would go ahead and put them in the fridge today to slowly defrost.  I have tried to thaw fully frozen chickens and it takes almost 48 hours.  You don't want a porkcicle when you are applying your rub and hoping it's fully thawed by Saturday morning.  My $0.02.

Also, Pepperidge Farm Slider buns...mmmmmmmm.
  • jrf316
    jrf316 Posts: 55
    giiidddy up
    Visca Barca
    Mes Que Un Club

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Thanks y'all.  @Henapple: dome temp.  @Beaumonty: good suggestion, I'll get them in the fridge this afternoon...might have to let them sit on the counter for a while if need be.  @putty: following the turbo method of @Mickey - only heard good things about it, so if it ain't broke why fix it?
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    I did the turbo method last weekend for my first butt.  Almost exactly what you're doing without the rub in the fridge the night before.  Also, I didn't raise the grate.  with the platesetter and a drip pan, I don't know what that adds to the equation.  I'm interested in your reasoning.

I chose @Charlie_tuna's turbo method (without injection)  because it seemed pretty predictable and it was.  The family loves it and now I know what to tweak (i want to try to develop a bit tougher bark) or to go back to if it does not work.  

also, what smoke?  I prefer Pecan but would also vote for apple.

show us how it works out.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What type of lump?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    @henapple I'm using Frontier - just ran out of Wicked Good and picked up a bag of Frontier....so far I really like it.  I'll be mixing in apple chips and chunks for smoke.

@Beaumonty: I'm not raising it much.  I just like the setup because I can put my drip pan on a grate rather than having to prop it up on the PS - gives me a little space so that I don't have to worry about the drippings burning.  The raised grid I'm using only puts me ~2" above the felt. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I have to agree that the foiling is not necessary.  I have done many butts on the egg and kept it at 275 degrees.  Come out very moist.

Another suggestion - skip the mustard.  The rub will stick to the butt without it.  There is a great recipe for Chris Lilly's rub on the internet that is money.  Everyone that I have served has loved it.

I would also suggest using a Maverick ET732 for your setup.  It will monitor the grill and meat temp which means you don't have to keep opening the egg to check the progress.  Remember, if you're lookin, you aren't cookin.

I hope it goes well for you.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

Foiling on the last half of the cook -- saves all the juices -- juice is flavor - which you mix back into the pulled pork rather than watch it go up in smoke as it hits your pan!!

I use pecan and i think it is the best for pulled pork.

Try the "Lawry's Tariayki Marinade" as an injection -- you will taste a big difference in the end result!

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I will try that on my next cook.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Sounds good, just go with what you want, and sounds good to you, really everyone does it different, and its all about getting the meat to 200 deg. Foil, no foil. Itsall good. Even what lump your using. So I say cook the h#ll out of them butts and eat well. And take the info on here and do what you feel will work for you. Just saying.