Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

New York Strip

I have cooked New York strips 2 times now and they seem a little tough. I must admit that I usually buy Ribeyes due to the taste and tenderness but Fresh Market had a sale I couldn't pass up. I have cooked on around 600 degrees one time and another 375. Both times the steaks were a little tough. Am I doing anything wrong? I was cooking to medium well. Thanks.
Pensacola, FL

Comments

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 470
    Medium Well ain't cool.  Cook it up to about 125 internal.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12
    Tampa Bay, FL
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 428

Are you cooking to temp or time?  How done were they both times?  Sometimes NY Strips just aren't marbled enough to help them stay tender - who says lean is better.

I usually do NY Strips by first bathing in a marinade of balsamic/worchestershire, soy sauce, a dash of hot sauce, dijon, fresh garlic and herbs. Several hours in that bath and they always got flavour if even a bit lean

Large BGE

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,622
    first off, I find strip to be "tougher" than ribeye. Usually they do not have the marbeling and fat of a ribeye.  Just because you are used to ribeye could be the only problem.

now, I eat my steak med rare to rare, so med well is always gonna be tough to me

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
  • grEGGorysgrEGGorys Posts: 120
    Thank you for the replies. I think the next time I will marinate them prior to the cook. I really need to get a thermapen but I spent around $1200 on egg, table and EGGcessories the last couple of months. I am waiting a little bit before spending another $100.
    Pensacola, FL
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 4,879
    NY strip needs some help and it is using a Jaccard. Hit is with this and they are like Rib eyes as far as texture goes. 
    IMGP2620.jpg
    4288 x 2848 - 573K
    Delta B.C., Canuckistan - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 428
    edited April 2013
    grEGGorys said:
    I really need to get a thermapen... I am waiting a little bit before spending another $100.

A thermapen is just a thermometer that gives you a temp superfast.  A $10 digital thermometer will give you the same temp - but may take 10 seconds to give it.  I made fine quality food for many years with my cheapie before the thermapen (which I now love and couldn't be without).

If you don't have a thermo - get what you can comfortably fit in the budget now - since it is the only way to turn out best quality steak, chicken breasts, pork chops etc.  IMO. 

I would run away from any analog or dial thermo - they just take too long and get off calibration easy

Large BGE

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 1,902
    grEGGorys said:
    Thank you for the replies. I think the next time I will marinate them prior to the cook. I really need to get a thermapen but I spent around $1200 on egg, table and EGGcessories the last couple of months. I am waiting a little bit before spending another $100.

Spending 100 bucks on a great thermometer is worth it so you don't ruin 500 dollars worth of meat before getting one.

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I had this strip last night and it was the best steak I have ever had. No eggasuration!! I filled the directions for the TREX method. I hope this helps.
    image.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 856K
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 4,613
    edited April 2013
    I used to love ribeyes, but now my favorite cut is New York Strip. I suggest searing em hot, then roast the rest of the way. Try to shoot for medium at a minimum and don't forget to rest your steaks for 5-10 minutes after you pull em off.

There are many folks that can cook a perfect steak by feel, so it's possible. You can also use this test to help ya out until you get a thermapen or equivalent:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/

For seasoning, I just use coarse salt and pepper and I drop a garlic butter ball on each steak during their rest.