Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick or Thermapen: Pick Only One

2»

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,616
    I have a maverick and just ordered the Thermapen. I'll have to get back with you.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thermapen
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Thermapen

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

This is clearly one of those "debates with no definite answers).  I have both, and each has its own area where it works best.

Wouldn't want to have to choose between only one.

:ar!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • freduc2
    freduc2 Posts: 73
    I have both and would go with thermapen. Its used for many things other than egging. Yeast, beer brewing, checking my temperature orally for no reason real reason. The wife loves it for indoor cooking.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Get both the maverick and the thermoworks rt600c.

The rt600c is about $ 20 -25 and takes 6 seconds to read a temp. Can be run through the dishwasher. For the savings in cost, I can live with waiting an extra 3 seconds.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I use my Thermapen on almost every cook and for other things, I only use the Maverick for butts and brisket. So, I'd buy the Thermapen without a doubt
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I still have only read thermapen or won't answer the question. Not one person has selected the maverick as their only device.

That says a lot.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited April 2013

This about this.  During a single low and slow cook, you probably "use" the maverick 50 times.  I mean you're sitting on the couch sipping a beer and the Maverick lets you check the meat temp and the grill temp by just turning your head away from the TV for a second.  

So when you count that way, my thermopen perhaps get used a lot less less.  With experience you may find you are using the therompen less and less.  I find I can judge doneness of meats by feel after cooking them over and over.
  • yvrbased
    yvrbased Posts: 13
    Thermapen, definitely.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Thermapen times kabajillion.

I have used my Maverick twice. It's in my POS drawer. Here is why:

This was after 5 minutes sitting outside. I had the probe wires over the PS leg and the probe in the center of the grid.

Here was the Maverick grid temp:

Here was the Thermapen:

• JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    I bought a Thermapen and then wished I had the Maverick so I could do a side by side comparison, so I bought the Maverick also.  I still have both but I actually prefer the Maverick.  Here is my video comparison of the two if you are interested in seeing...  As far as speed goes, I believe they are equals.  As far as accuracy goes, I believe the Thermapen is more accurate by only one degree or so which is an insignificant difference in the world of BBQ...

http://youtu.be/UNb_3NnsvRA
  • JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    I forgot to include the food information...

I use these instant read thermometers mainly when I'm grilling and rarely when I'm smoking.  I use them to check internal temps on steaks and chicken breasts...
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Thermapen for me
    Lenoir, N.C.