Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breasts

Mross
Mross Posts: 338
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Two turkeys breast only going on now. Sammich meat in a few hours. 300 grate temp indirect. Brined 24 hours with a Greek seasoning on skin. I will post more as it progresses.
Duncan, SC

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Looks good so far
  • Mross
    35 mins into cook.
    Duncan, SC
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    love turkey breast for sandwiches off the egg....I would say you are getting ready to have a whole lot of new friends when they are done...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    Looking good so far...... STOP PEEKING!!!     ;)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mross
    I have done a bunch of these and just wanted to document a cook for the newbies. :)
    Duncan, SC
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Looks good. Getting ready to do three and a couple of hams in about 3 weeks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mross
    I have daughters college graduation next weekend with 30 plus folks coming. I am going to do ham, roast beef and turkey for deli meats and then some other finger foods. I may have to take a few days off to get it all done.
    Duncan, SC
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Looks like a good cook so far. What your target temp for the turkey breasts? What is your cooking temp?
  • Mross
    300 grate temp 160 on the breasts. Brined 24 hours all indirect. Started cOoking about 430 and temp is now about 145 to 150. Won't be long now.
    Duncan, SC
  • Mross
    All done. Cooked way faster than I expected. They were small I guess.
    Duncan, SC
  • Mross
    Forgot the pics.
    Duncan, SC
  • Mross
    The money shot.
    Duncan, SC
  • Mross
    With the fixings.
    Duncan, SC
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Mross said:
    I have daughters college graduation next weekend with 30 plus folks coming. I am going to do ham, roast beef and turkey for deli meats and then some other finger foods. I may have to take a few days off to get it all done.
    I have one graduating as well and will be doing the same thing thanks for the post. Just got my new slicer. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mross
    edited April 2013
    I have had a slicer for a few years. I am a deer hunter and like to make jerky. Congratulations on getting one through college. This is my last of three and they have all made me proud. They did something I did or would not do.
    Duncan, SC
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Nice cook Mross... Nice side's too. I'm getting ready to cook Mongolian pork chops soon. They have been Marinading since this morning. Check out the recipe... It's a killer marinade and dipping sauce. Village Idiot tried it the other day when I first posted it and loved it. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-mongolian-pork-chops/detail.aspx
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I inject my turkey breasts with 'bitter orange marinate" and cook indirect at 350 degrees to an internal temperature of 160 degrees - rest and serve!!  Always ask myself afterwords why we don't do turkey breats more often!!!
  • Mross
    Charlie great looking bird. Hog thanks for the link. I will try them.
    Duncan, SC
  • JRWhitee
    Mross said:
    I have had a slicer for a few years. I am a deer hunter and like to make jerky. Congratulations on getting one through college. This is my last of three and they have all made me proud. They did something I did or would not do.
    Actually graduating HS, off to become a Gamecock next year!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mross
    Awesome. Two of mine graduated from Carolina. My son played high school ball with Lattimore.
    Duncan, SC
  • JRWhitee
    Thats great, you should be proud.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks great!!!!
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    I inject my turkey breasts with 'bitter orange marinate" and cook indirect at 350 degrees to an internal temperature of 160 degrees - rest and serve!!  Always ask myself afterwords why we don't do turkey breats more often!!!

how long does it take??

• Charlie tuna
    It all depends on the size of the breast, but say a seven pounder might take one and a half hours, but always cook to temperature especially poultry since it can dry out if over cooked.
  • JRWhitee
    Where do you guys get your turkey breasts? My kroger or publix do not have any. How much a pound do they normally cost? Thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Charlie tuna
    Around the Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays you can find them fresh, otherwise you have to settle for frozen but most big stores carry them the year round !!  Just saw some here for $.99/pound frozen.
  • JRWhitee
    Thanks Charlie.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jdgcrean
    jdgcrean Posts: 44
    any thoughts on temperature when slicing with a deli slicer? i've got a couple going on in an hour - one with peri peri sauce, one with montreal chicken seasoning. plan on making some great sandwich meat! guessing the meat doesn't need to be frozen like bacon when slicing. but should they be refrigerated for a while first?
  • jdgcrean
    jdgcrean Posts: 44
    woops - definitely over salted. brined for 16 hours per ruhlman. did a rinse and then added montreal rub - way too salty. deli sliced after 1 hour in the fridge worked perfect. peri peri breast was fantastic though. 
  • JRWhitee
    I wish I could find Turkey Breasts in Atlanta, the wife went to 3 stores today but no luck. Kroger told her they would have them during the holidays. Publix didn't have any either.

Johns Creek, Georgia