Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt question

Options
EggHeadinFlorida
EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Ive got a 2.69lb Boneless Boston Butt on the Egg now. Its been cooking for 6hrs, grid temp at 250deg. Internal temp is only at 160. From what I have read, I should allow 1.5-2hrs per pound. Also, I know to cook to temp and not time. But this joker is a little over 2.5lbs and 6hrs later I still have about 35deg to go. Am I missing something here?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    You are in the stall.  Once you get out of the stall things will move more quickly.  If you are getting short on time you can open the vents a little and get the temp up in the 300 - 350 range.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    those hr rules seem to aplly better with 7 pounders on up.  with that small of a butt i might consider foiling it with some juice and finish it with a braise
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Wrap in foil and bump temp up as foghorn says. It will be done in no time

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

Stall huh? How long does this "stall" usually last? Ive got about 2 hrs before dinner is supposed to be ready. Should I wait it out or foil it?

Not sure if it means anything, I do have a drip pan filled with water in the egg.

• Foghorn
    Options

The worst thing about the stall is that it is unpredictable.

I'd go with foil at 350 now.  Ideally it will be done in an hour and it can spend an hour in a cooler wrapped in foil before you pull it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    And where are you in Florida?

San Antonio, TX

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

Heres a dumb question.. When you say Foil it and go with the higher temp. You mean just wrap the entire butt in foil and seal it closed?

Im just south of Gainesville.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    In my humble opinion, for a smaller butt like that I would go ahead and foil it and let it finish.  If it gets done early, you can put the butt wrapped in foil, in a cooler stuffed with towels (FTC- Foil, Towel, Cooler).  

I have only done one smallish butt- and it came out a little dry.  I had the same issue- a 4 lber and it cooked for like 12 hours.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    definatly foil and crank the heat up. fwiw that water in the pan probably slowed the cook down even more
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    water.... we don't need no stinkin water
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

I am sold on a rest period on butts -- and i agree with those who said foil it and bump the temperature up, but don't serve it off the grill without a rest period.

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    How long of a rest period am I looking for
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Normally one hour. Wrap in foil then a towel and drop in cooler.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    Options
    If you need to eat sooner 1/2 hour would be ok too. Let us know how it turns out.

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Ok thx guys. It's currently wrapped in aluminum foil at 375°.. temperature is steadily climbing
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    How long of a rest period am I looking for
    You don't really need to rest it very long. Just enough until you can stand the heat to pull it.

I find no difference between FTC for hours and pulling after 20 minutes. To me, FTC'ing just keeps it at a safe temp for holding. 

You can do it, but don't do so long that it delays dinner. Nothing is worse than pissed off dinner guests(especially SWMBO'ed) 
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I cook my butts turbo style and when my butts come off the grill the liquid inside the foiled butt is about 3/4 of the heigth of the butt.  After the rest period, minimum of one hour, that liquid will be 1/3 of that amount.  As the butt cools the liquid goes back into the butt.  No different than pulling a good steak off a grill and serving it!  As soon as it is cut into, the juices pour out of the steak.. 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    All done....
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Nice looking bark!  =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    How'd it taste?

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    See all that brown looking  stuff on the foil ---  thats flavor that if not foiled at the end of the cook would be in the drip pan or on the PS !
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    It was a little salty. The rub I used tasted like **** lol.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Here is the rub on the butt prior to going on the egg.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    You might have a decent rub, but maybe it is just too much of it???  I had to finally get something the whole family enjoyed -- not too hot and not too sweet!!
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I'm thinking it was a bit much. But hey first butt, live and learn.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    What kind of rub was it?  It does look like a generous coating ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Here ya go
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Looks like a good rub. Next time don't use so much.

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I won't don't worry lol.
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    I was looking at the pic of your "rubbed butt" and my 7 year old said it looked like it was covered in ants and bugs. LOL