Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork chop question

Plan on doing some chops for supper. Not too thick just regular bone in chops. How does everybody do them? Raised direct or I defect? Sauce or rub ideas? Thanks

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Should have said raised direct or indirect.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

My latest pork chop encounter was some boneless and i used a brine from someone on this forum.  I could, nor the wife, believe the difference in the final product.  I cooked them direct at gasket level, egg stabilized at 350 degrees to an internal of 145 degrees, or if you like some pink go 140 internal.  They cook fast, maybe 20 to 25 minutes tops, you really have to keep an eye on them.

Brine:      1/4 cup of rub

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup salt

To one quart of water

I brined mine for six hours.  The juice was running out of the chops like a steak!!!  Just applied some course black pepper and kosher salt before going on the grill -- rinse the brine off first.  

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    shtgunal3 said:

I cook my chops at grid level with direct heat, no platesetter, lid down and try to maintain the heat at 350 dome. That makes the temp at the cooking level about 310/320 degrees. Brining pork chops is good for sure depending on how you are going to rub them or sauce them. For brining information go to Amazingribs.com. He will explain to you when to brine and when not to brine. He will tell how long to brine. He will, in detail tell how to mix your brine right down to the percentage of salt for a 6% brine verses an 8% brine and when to use either. This recipe is my absolute favorite for both pork chops and chicken thighs. With pork chops I make up the dipping sauce too. With chicken thighs I don't both with the dipping sauce. I love, love, love the taste of this sauce. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-mongolian-pork-chops/detail.aspx
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    HogHeaven said:
    shtgunal3 said:

I cook my chops at grid level with direct heat,
    Isn't all food cooked at grid level? 
    ;)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I like raised direct and coffee rub or Bad Byrons Butt Rub.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Chops respond very well to a brine, even a mild one. Usual is raised direct, if they are thick, greater than 1-1/2", indirect at <300  internal about 120, then a reverse sear for color. 
    Chops have coffe rub (Thanks Mickey) or if done direct, usual is naked, finished with a BBQ sauce. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • shtgunal3
    Decided to go raised direct with just salt and pepper. Will sauce toward the end with bone sucking sauce. Thanks for everyone's comments.

• shtgunal3
    Going on the egg

• shtgunal3
    Had to stop egging and kill a snake

• shtgunal3 said:
    You never stop just add the snake to the cook :D
  • Charlie tuna
    Bet that snake tasted better than the chops ??
  • shtgunal3
    And the finished product minus the snake. The big hunk is a piece of pork loin covered in swamp venom.

• Charlie tuna
    Chops came out looking great.  Did you cook to temperature?
  • shtgunal3
    Yeah i pulled @ 150... I can't handle pink pork.

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053

Raised direct is it.  I highly recommend pulling at 135 and let them rest  a bit.  150 seems to me over done. 

However, the beauty of grilling is to each his own.  Looks like a fantastic finish for you!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Just a side note... You will never get chops served to you at a nice restaurant at 150 degrees, unless you ask for it.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    shtgunal3 said:
    Looks like a Chicken Snake to me.  Harmless.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Chops look great, @shtgunal3. We like to brine (when we remember) and cook direct. Most of our direct cooks seems to be in the 400 range. The great thing about the Egg is that there are som many ways to do something and none of them are wrong. Just find the one you like and keep on Egging.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings