Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Espresso Steaks

Options
Second time around with this process, worked great and love it.  Will apologize in advance for no pics, I suck at photog and it wouldn't do food justice.  Picked up some espresso infused balsamic vinegar from a place locally.  I use the reverse sear technique and do nothing different, except right before putting steaks back on for sear, brush one side down with the espresso balsamic.  Put steaks back on, brushed side up and sear as normal.  The balsamic imparts a subtle espresso depth but then also caramelizes a little with a slightly surprise sweet kick.  I'm a steak purist, salt only seared, etc and love this method.  Just a little different flavor profile for a change up.  Really pulls some of the more subtle tones of some good bold red wines out.
Large Egg October 2011
MiniMax December 2014

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Wow. That sounds great. Unfortunately, I've never seen expresso balsamic, but I haven't been looking, either. I will now. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia