Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vinegar on pulled pork?

Options

I just re-discovered a vinegar sauce for my pulled pork. Got tired of the usual tomato based sauce.  This is great.  Don't recall exact measurements.

• 1.5 cup distilled vinegar
  • sugar
  • crushed red pepper
  • black pepper
  • tabasco
  • salt

Any other variations out there?

Signal Mountain, TN

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Absolutely. Play with it and come up ith your own concoction. Vinegar based is great. Use apple cider vinegar.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Jshochstetler
    Options
    Here is one that we love on pulled pork , kind of eastern N C style.

1 cup white vinegar

1 cup cider vinegar

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™), or to taste

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For the past year or so, I've favored mustard sauces, so I'd add a bunch of mustard. But otherwise, simple is good.

A year or so ago, I bought some Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar w. Mother. My thought was to keep adding cider as I used the vinegar. But the bottle got shoved to the back of the shelf, and I forgot all about it. Came across it a few weeks ago. Don't know if the longer ferment has anything to do w. it, but it is the most "appley" and tartest cider vinegar I've had. Works way better in sauces and dressings.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I start with a simple recipe (similar to what you have there)

...and then add to it.  

One thing I have found is that your favorite BBQ rub is great in a sauce.  I add some Oak Ridge Secret weapon.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CigarSmokinEgger
    Options

My go-to recipe is very similar to those posted but here goes:

2c apple cider vinegar

1.5c water

5/8c ketchup

1/4c brown sugar

5t salt

4t crushed red pepper

1t black pepper

1t white pepper

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Seems like when we used to drive down the east coast to Flarida in ye olde daze that the BBQ places that we liked to stop at in NC always had a vinegar shaker on the table with the other condiments.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Seems like when we used to drive down the east coast to Flarida in ye olde daze that the BBQ places that we liked to stop at in NC always had a vinegar shaker on the table with the other condiments.  
    They have good taste in NC, us Canadians like vinegar on our french fries. My recipe is similar to @CigarSmokinEgger. We find the vinegar only too strong, the ketchup only (BBQ sauce) too sweet, this Lexington sauce just about right. Have not tried the mustard version yet. 

500ml (2 cups) apple cider vinegar

125ml (1/4 cup) ketchup or tomato sauce

65ml (1/4 cup) packed brown sugar

30ml (2Tbs) sugar

15ml (1Tbs) salt

15ml (1Tbs) ground white pepper

15ml (1Tbs) red chile flakes (will add heat the longer it sits)

1.5ml (1/2tsp) ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes or covered in the fridge for weeks. 

Use as dressing for slaw and for finishing pulled pork.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    I too have settled on a recipe similar to what CigarSmokinEgger posted. It's a little different every time I make it, but always popular. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You have a nice base for eastern Mop sauce. Adding ketchup will make it western and get you estranged from any family east of 85 in North Carolina. For me, it's east all the way when I make it.

2 cups of vinegar (white or cider, I usually go 1:1)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    Texas Pete, cayenne, crushed red pepper to taste. (1 tbsp each if you're a wuss)

;)
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    +1 on the Braggs. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    I would agree with most. I love adding the apple cider vinegar to the mix as well as some brown sugar. 
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    Options
    This link is my favorite recipe, I add a bit of red pepper flakes...maybe a teaspoon and cut the butter in half. http://noblepig.com/2010/01/east-carolina-barbeque-sauce-for-pulled-pork/