Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Le Cruset on the Egg

What's the consensus for using the Le Cruset enameled dutch ovens on the egg? I absolutely love mine and use in the kitchen as my pan of choice for a lot of things and would think it'd be great on the egg. Am I missing anything?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I think people have said they use them. I think @Fishlessman might have can't remember.  I have a CIDO i use in the egg, not willing to use my LC even if it is safe.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Some find it a pain to clean off the creosote. It is helpful to spray Pam on the outside.

Otherwise it is fine to use.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Good news is it's mine and she's already broken it once. Also good news, their warranty is great and it only cost a fraction of what it retails for to replace if it's not under warranty. (yes I know they are crazy high to begin with)

It's supposed to be cold tonight, so I think I might try some chili tonight in it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I think If I tried this with either of "our" LeCrusset post, SWMBO'd would pick up my LBGE over her head, and bring it down sharply on mine. 

She values those like I like my LBGE.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i use mine and i use a cheaper 50 dollar enameled castiron from marshals. it cleans easier if it soaks overnight in the sink
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I have been told that I will develop a much higher voice if I use our Le Cuesets on the Egg.  I am not going to test that threat.  :-O

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    I use mine on the egg.  In an earlier post on this topic someone suggested applying a light coating of dish soap (use a damp paper towel); I've found this works quite well for easy clean up, no heavy scrubbing required.  Remember to do the underside of the handles also . . . 
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Oxyclean gets the gunk off no problem
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have been told that I will develop a much higher voice if I use our Le Cuesets on the Egg.  I am not going to test that threat.  :-O
    I have the feeling that there are enough of us in this position that we could create the Vienna Boy's Choir- Egg addition.

Who's willing to take the risk so we can sing Carnegie Hall? 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    What about just wrapping the entire outside of the pot in aluminum foil? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    my lodge was on $40... love it
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I personally would not risk it, and save the LC for indoor use. A Lodge DO or Tramontina enameled DO (Cook's Illustrated Best Buy for some years) would not be terribly pricey (especially vs LC) and could be dedicated for egging. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I use mine on the BGE all the time.  I prepare chili or baked beans inside, then when I'm ready to let it bake/simmer, I set the LC on a big sheet of aluminum foil.  I wrap the sides up into the bowl down to the water line.  Then let it simmer in the smoke for a few hours.

10 seconds of work + 10 cents of aluminum = no gunk to clean off!

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I knew accidentally leaving my LC on a  hot burner dry for 45 min happened for a reason.Its black inside and free to go on the egg.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Use it and  soak it in Oxy clean to get the soot and crud off

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Im thinking this may be what the choir may look like.image
  • Put a lite coat of dish washing soap (dawn) on the outside of DO and it will wash right off. LC on the egg is fine.
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    i use mine with the plate setter,  indirect your safe!
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I use my kitchenaid enameled Dutch oven all the time in my eggs for chili. Cleaning used to be a pain but now I just spray it with easy off oven cleaner and let it sit 5 minutes and rinse and its 90% clean. I use my le creuset skillet direct on my mini to blacken fish and have never had any issues and have read the temp in the pan with the ir thermometer at almost 600.