Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Free EggFest

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669

Just checking to see if I am missing anything. At Salado we do not charge anyone for anything (cooks or tasters). In the same thought we can’t give out the cook’s bags, gift certificate for grocery’s, or pay for the dinner the night before. I still think this is a good thing.  We still have the before and after party (just bring stuff ourselves).   I think this works just fine. If I am missing something important now is the time to start rethinking how we do it at Salado. Please comment. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I'd be glad to pay if you could keep some of the men from wearing dresses.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I Luke it just how it is. I would gladly pay but I don't there would be any value added.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2013
    I have only been to one fest and I paid like $90.00 for 2 days. I seen pictures of Salado and have read it keeps growing. You guys looked like you had fun. If you your asking if you should charge to give the cooks a couple nice gifts. I am all for it. The cooks do work hard and IMO do deserve a nice reward. On the flip side I doubt any of your cooks would expect anything in return. That is just the kind of people they seem to be.   

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    I would definitely go if you ban guys with Vespas!

=))

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    However, a woman waving around a Bowie knife can be very distracting. Especially when she isn't prepping food.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Check with Smitty @ Eggs by the Bay. See what his price schedule is and what he supplies.

http://www.eggsbythebay.com/

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    Mikey, didn't make it this year, but honestly, it sounds like it aint broke...... 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Eggcelsior
    It's one or the other. Either ask for the money to provide booze and refreshments, meet and greet, gift bags.... Or ask people to BYOB and bring the fun with them.

Either works for me. It sure isn't broke and I will be there next year.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082

Never been to Salado but it sure does sound like it "ain't broke".  If you want to go the money route then you need to get a larger crew together to deal with the logisitics and it sure sounds all of that sort of stuff gets individually sorted in great fashion right now. 

Also, there may be various local rules and regs that drive some of the decisions/requirements.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash
    To add on to Lou's thought. 
    People are much more forgiving when it's free. When they pay,  they are more likely to complain at small things falling through the cracks. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    LOL. 

OK. point taken. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'd leave it alone. I've only been to the salado fest but many other types. there's no pressure either to buy products or cooking forcompetition. I loved the small town feel and relaxed atmosphere. you need a beer... grab one out of the nearest cooler. you like Travis's tuna dip... bring over a bowl and take half of it.
    sure the cooks work hard but we're eggers.. it's what we love.
    I don't understand charging to cook...
    Mickey if I were going to charge I'd $1 per taster with kids free and the proceeds going to a local charity in salado. everyone can do that and with 400 tasters you could help someone out. but that's me, I'm a giver...a people person
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    edited April 2013
    <BLOCKQUOTE class=Quote>
    <DIV class=QuoteAuthor><A href="http://eggheadforum.com/profile/31232/Village%20Idiot">Village Idiot</A> said:</DIV>
    <DIV class=QuoteText>
    <BLOCKQUOTE class=Quote>
    <DIV class=QuoteAuthor><A href="http://eggheadforum.com/profile/53598/tazcrash">tazcrash</A> said:</DIV>
    <DIV class=QuoteText>To add on to Lou's thought. 
    <DIV>People are much more forgiving when it's free. When they pay,  they are more likely to complain at small things falling through the cracks. </DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, but when it's free, the riff raff tends to take advantage of the situation.  Case in point, I heard some yealoo parked his trailer full of Vespas sideways, taking up 5 prime parking places.  What a jerk !</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>.<BR>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

• Eggcelsior
    I like Salado just the way it is.
    Centex is the new Bruno mars

imageimage
  • @Mickey Helicopter surveillance, you run a tight ship!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The best BBQ "cook-offs" I've been to are the free ones. The atmosphere is quite different, as someone mentioned, expectations seem to be higher when you've paid for admittance. 

I think the key is sponsors, local and national. The more people you have the more promotion the sponsor gets for their support. if you get too successful, you can limit attendance based on price. 

Mickey, I think you guys have done a great job, nothing needs fixing.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    My opinion fwiw cooks shouldn't pay but tasters should have a donation box with a suggested minimum donation as @henapple said about benefitting a charity or something along those lines.
    Lynnwood WA
  • henapple
    bge should give you more than a shirt.. you sold over $30k worth of eggs
  • Eggcelsior
    henapple said:
    bge should give you more than a shirt.. you sold over $30k worth of eggs
    They need to come up with their own version of the Mary Kay Cadillac
  • henapple
    if my wife and I went through the gate we'd easily drop in $10 or hit them up after they've eaten all the great food. to be able to help a sick child, needy family or provide a $1000 scholarship would be awesome. hell, I'd run that.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704

@henapple summed it up best... the PBR's must be wearing off.

I had a great time at Salado and can't remember thinking that anything in particular would have made it better. Well, it would have been better if  I had cooked!

A nominal fee would maybe be okay, like $ 5 -10? The Austin Eggfest seemed pretty steep to me, but I can't remember how much it is. Cooks put in a lot of time and effort (and groceries), but none of the people I met in Salado sounded like they were looking for any kind of compensation. They were in it for the love of the game, so to say.

A donation to a local charity or something along those lines would be a most egg-cellent gesture next year. Other than that, it felt like a great gathering of old and new friends, and I'm glad that I was able to attend and be a part of it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    I'm actually more charitable after a few... I'm a happy drunk
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I don't think cooks should have to pay pay since they are working hard and supplying the food. Haven't given much thought to the tasters, but one thing to consider is how are you going to make sure everybody paid? I haven't been to a Salado Eggfest, but it looks pretty open. How do you stop people from just wandering in? Would you have to put up a fence? Who's going to sit at the entrance and monitor it and take money? Do you get a stamp or an wrist band so you can come and go throughout the day? Lots of things I think would have to be considered and that is just what came to mind after 30 seconds of hard thinking.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    double said:
    My opinion fwiw cooks shouldn't pay but tasters should have a donation box with a suggested minimum donation as @henapple said about benefitting a charity or something along those lines.
    They tried that but Mickey took the money, got drunk, and paid a visit to a rather nefarious establishment usually frequented by lonely soldiers from nearby Ft. Hood.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I suspect the Florida Eggfest would be better if the gate were increased enough to cover some expenses for the cooks.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    they had an entry area at salado...I mean someone could go around it..I wouldn't want to enforce it... donations may be better