Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole chicken

Options

Did my first whole chicken on the egg today and it turned out pretty good. I think I'll cook just a little longer next time just because of my own preference, but I cooked until the internal temp was 160 and pulled it and let it rest for a few minutes. The rub I used was a little spicier than i wanted but still good. Next time I'll just use something a little more mild. But all in all a good meal and didn't have any problems during the process. Here is the recipe I used if anyone is interested.

5lb chicken

4 mandarins quartered and stuffed in the butt of the chicken

homemade vinegar basting sauce

Salt Lick's garlic dry rub

olive oil applied to the skin for crispyness

a little butter stuffed in the butt

I did not spatchcock it just cooked it whole on indirect heat at 350 to 400 hundred til it reached 160, about a 1 1/2 hrs and used some apple chips for smoke flavor. I don't recommend the garlic dry rub on the chicken, but it wasn't bad.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I did a whole spatch tonight too. 

I checked out our cabins for the cook off. We are hooked up. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I also spatchcocked a 4.5 lb at 400 and only took a hair under an hour. Mine was direct but 400 is 400 ( I think).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    I did a whole spatch tonight too. 

I checked out our cabins for the cook off. We are hooked up. 

Where you be? We have lunch Tue.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'm at home. We are staying at lake Buchanan for a brisket and rib competition but that is on the 27th. I'll be there Tuesday.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • ljmcpherson2005
    Options
    Awesome, I got to cook a practice brisket before the competition. Gotta make sure I'm ready!
  • Mickey
    Options
    I'm at home. We are staying at lake Buchanan for a brisket and rib competition but that is on the 27th. I'll be there Tuesday.

The 27th is Texas Fest in Austin.