Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

OT - My 1st Deep Dish (pics)

NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,138
edited April 2013 in Off Topic
OT because I didn't cook it on the BGE (I know, I know). I was going to, but John was resealing my table and I didn't want to get in the way of that. ;)

Deep Dish Pizza

I used my 12″ Lodge Cast Iron skillet and pre-made pizza dough from Publix. I looked at @Griffin 's blog after I stretched the dough with my fist -- he clearly states not to do that.

Oops.

Deep Dish Pizza

Also: I forgot sauce.

Deep Dish Pizza

Oops, again.

Deep Dish Pizza

The crust was golden brown:

Deep Dish Pizza

And the pizza was really good!

Deep Dish Pizza

Next time, I'll add sauce, leave the crust alone, and cook it on the BGE.

Deep Dish Pizza

It wasn't a disaster, but it could have been better.
I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
·

Comments

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    That crust looks incredible, Kristi ! And, with your substitution talents, why didn't you make sauce out of something in your pantry?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,892
    Looks incredible- even without sauce.  What were the toppings?  I think I recognize kalamata olives, sauteed onions, mushrooms, large pepperoni (salami, sopressata?).  Feta and Mozz?  Shredded romaine on top after cooking?

I would drizzle some EVOO and balsamic on it and devour ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,138
    edited April 2013
    VI:  trust me, I looked, but my options were limited.  There wasn't much I could do with peanut butter, Clif bars, and arborio rice.  L-)
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,064
    Yep that crust looks great! How long did you cook it? I would have burned it for sure. : )

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,148
    edited April 2013
    Looks incredible - the crust is perfect colour. 
    Canned diced tomatoes make a nice "sauce" if you place them in a coarse sieve and let them drain for 30 minutes or so to get most of the moisture off them. Use sparingly. There are lots of flavours available. We prefer to using actual pizza sauce. Use a layer of cheese on the crust before any other toppings. 
    Great pie. Consider yourself an honorary citizen of that great deep dish city, Chicago. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Thanks, guys.  I used a combination of Gruyère and Manchego cheese.  The toppings were pepperoni, kalamata olives, and sauteed onions and shiitake mushrooms... goat cheese and more Gruyère on top. 
    Fresh basil right before digging in.

I cooked it at 425F for ~30 minutes.
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Crust looks great, as does the whole thing sauce or not. What temp did you cook it? I assume your big clock has a thermometer!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 616
    Nice looking crust. I bet it was crispy and good.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Texarkana, TX

·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,592
    Looks great!! I've never made a deep dish before either.
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Bam! Looks good. What does that Gruyere taste like? I priced some one time and almost fainted.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,526
    Kristi, that's what we are having tonight. Thanks. Off to publix.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • sariverssarivers Posts: 67
    Did you preheat your skillet? What temp? Looks good. I've got to try on in my cast iron skillet.
    Columbia, SC

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,462
    VI:  trust me, I looked, but my options were limited.  There wasn't much I could do with peanut butter, Clif bars, and arborio rice.  L-)

I don't use sauce on my pies. I slice tomatoes and use that as my base. Works great for me.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • @Plano_JJ -  It is nutty and a little salty.  It is one of my favorite cheeses.  It also makes a kick-butt grilled cheese with caramelized onions. 

@sarivers - I didn't preheat the skillet.  I cooked at 425F for ~30 min. 

More pictures and what I did (& didn't do) here:  http://necessaryindulgences.com/2013/04/deep-dish-pizza/

I followed @Griffin 's blog:  http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/our-first-deep-dish-pizza/

·
  • Chubbs said:

I don't use sauce on my pies. I slice tomatoes and use that as my base. Works great for me.
    I don't use sauce on my thin crust pizzas either. Usually just garlic infused olive oil on the crust or a light layer of pesto.  I think the deep dish needed something, tho.  Maybe a sauce with a little hot Italian sausage? 
    ·
  • Looks awsome, I really need to try a deep dish sometime. Yours looks really good even with all the oopses  ^:)^
    ·
  • Kristi, you are a rock star.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,526

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    Looks great, Kristi, even with all your oops moments. next time add more cheese. All the way to the edge of the CI Skillet. That way you get the "cheese gasket" coming down the sides of the crust. That's the best part, IMHO. ;)

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Thanks, @Griffin! ; I can't wait to make it again with changes.   It was good, but I now know it can be great!
    ·