Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Questions (where to buy?)

Options
Jeffroe189
Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
So I have used the big green egg lump, which I can get 2 min from my house, and liked it but $26 dollars a bag is a little expensive. I got a bag of Royal Oak at Wal-Mart and it was terrible. Nothing but small pieces and I could not get it up to a real high temp for pizza. I know the egg was clean because I had just emptied it and vacuumed it out before I filled it with the Royal Oak. I just got a bag of Wicked Good and it looks awesome. My problem with it is its a 30 min drive to get it and its $22 a bag. My question is...Where do you get your lump and is there anywhere online that sells lump with cheap shipping? I looked on Wicked's website and found it for $13 a bag but shipping for 2 bags is $26 dollars. That makes it as much as the Big Green Egg lump. Help me find some good cheap lump, if it exists.

Thanks Jeff
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    I found some HEB Central Market brand @ a reg HEB in a 20# bag for less than $20 a bag yesterday. I don't know how good I havent tried it yet.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Do you have a Kroger near you? I occasionally use Kroger brand lump and it is good lump! My fav. Is wicked good but in a pinch I use Kroger lump.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    edited April 2013
    Options
    No Kroger's around here.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Firecraft has free shipping on orders over 100.00. I bought 10 bags of Ozark Oak from them. Like it a lot but it's still a buck a pound. Thinking of trying Humphreys. Anyone use it? Thoughts?
    XL BGE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I use Humphrey exclusively. I buy it direct from Humphrey. As a matter of fact, I spoke with Lee Humphrey on the phone this evening. I'm buying 3 pallets in a group buy. After shipping, I'm paying $13.19/bag. Those are 20 pound bags. I live in PA where Humphrey is headquartered so my shipping doesn't cost quite as much as shipping across the country.

The lump has a mix of small medium and large pieces...mostly medium to large. It burns hot and lasts a long time. PM me if you have any questions about buying from them. They're web site kind of sucks and prices aren't accurate for shipping. I email Lee directly.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I usually buy BGE lump and have liked it (BGE dealer closer than Ace). Recently tried Publix Greenwise...seems slow to start cause there isn't enough big pieces in the bag to layer at the bottom. I will have to try the Kroger brand as suggested by @kosko. Due to the distance to an Ace I have not yet tried weekend warrior
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120