Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tardy Easter post - Sausage Stuffed Pork loin ala Cooks Country magazine

I have tried this pork loin before and we loved it, haven't tried it again until Sunday. Mostly because I remember it being delicious but laborious as with most cooks illustrated dishs. (Mainly because I don't have a prep team behind me, and I forget to budget time for it ha ha)

This time was different and the prep went smooth and was even a bit fun.

Rubbed the outside with Grill Mates® Applewood Rub my wife got me for <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />Easter. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Stuffing consisted of sausage cooked and drained, minced garlic, cheese, pepper flakes, an egg and a slice of bread for binder. I added some fresh thyme. Mix all in food processor to make it easier to spread. I forgot to add the cheese in when processing but it didn't hurt to have in on top. Rolled and trussed back in fridge overnight with rub.

Lit one egg at 630am for the ham and planned to throw this on with it later. We got held up at services but FORTUNATELY the stoker was controlling the pit and a quick tap on the iphone allowed me to put things in standby.

Running late I pushed this loin a little faster than I would have liked, but may have been a blessing in disguise as it turned out fabulous.

Rave reviews and I (my own worst critic) couldn't find anything wrong with and actually agreed it was worthy of praise which doesn't come easy at my house.

If loins go on sale, this is a no brainer.

Even managed to get some stuffed chops out of the rest of the loin and stuffing I had left over.

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, Stoker Wifi, White Thermapen, Igrill---Gilbert SC

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Prior to this I have NEVER looked at a recpie where someone stuffed a high quality piece of meat with other stuff and thought "I need to cook that" - but you got me on this one.  Looks great.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    This looks fantastic! I just spent a half-hour on the CI site and couldn't find it, though. Do you know the exact title? 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Just asking: BACON

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jgdusc
    jgdusc Posts: 22

Thanks Foghorn - We get the loins pretty cheap around here quite frequently and I don't consider them high quality most times, but this transformed it into something worthy of Easter Sunday. 

Their recipe says put it in the oven, but thats cause they don't have the egg!  I give it all the credit.  Same with the Easter ham.  Nobody believes me when I tell them I just open the package, and throw the ham on.  Wait three plus hours and enjoy

Mickey my thoughts as well.  Why not make it a pork trifecta.  I will probably do that soon enough.

Jlsm - it was out of the cooks country magazine not illustrated for what its worth- not sure if they are somehow different even though the same.  Could have sworn I took a pic of the recipe in case I needed to post but can't find it at the moment.  I will scan to pdf and post unless that is some how illegal. 

Thanks all!

500 Posts: 3,177
    It's a "premium content" recipe.
    Nice looking cook.  Looks like a dinner party entree.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks really good!  =D> I need to try something like this soon. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    You sure can butterfly a pork loin better than I do.Bit I am getting better with practice.

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • jgdusc

Thanks Springham and Solson. 

I need more practice as well.  Look closely and there are several holes, but only one I couldn't "repair".  If one started to develop, I just went back and cut a little deeper in front and flipped it over to cover. One it was rolled tight I only had one little spot.   

• jlsm
    I stop short of getting the "premium" recipes. I take the mag and subscribe to the site; I resent the "premium" aspect. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    That looks great. I am borderline obsessed with trying a stuffed pork loin. I am trying to come up with the "perfect" stuffing. 

I would love to have this recipe if you can swing it.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    jlsm said:
    I stop short of getting the "premium" recipes. I take the mag and subscribe to the site; I resent the "premium" aspect. 
    What is "premium" about it? It is just behind the standard paywall for the site. The only "premium" part I am aware of is the Cook's Illustrated "Editors Choice" series. 
  • jlsm
    @eggcelsior: That's what I thought @500 meant. I don't subscribe to Cook's Country, only CI, and not the Editor's Choice series. 
  • Eggcelsior
    edited April 2013
    That looks great. I am borderline obsessed with trying a stuffed pork loin. I am trying to come up with the "perfect" stuffing. 

I would love to have this recipe if you can swing it.
    @johnkitchens It is "no es bueno" to copy or repost recipes onto public forums from any CI site.

BUT.......

here is a site that has the exact recipe. 
  • Eggcelsior
    jlsm said:
    @eggcelsior: That's what I thought @500 meant. I don't subscribe to Cook's Country, only CI, and not the Editor's Choice series. 
    Okay. I subscribe to all three iterations online. The "Editors Choice" popped up a few years ago. They state that every recipe that has ever appeared in the magazine is available to all. The "Editors choice" are the recipes that made it into their cookbooks but never appeared in the magazine. They have never been available before this, so I don't really have an issue with it(the extra fee; it is less than buying the cookbook).
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    @Eggcelsior thank you very much for the link! This is what I was looking for.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks awesome and sounds extremely tasty.  Nice dark crust on the outside...looks moist and yummy on the inside.  Nice work! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jgdusc
    Looks like Eggcelsior beat me to it. I didn't use the pepper flakes but instead used some fresh thyme. The dark crust was techically an accident as I was late getting home from church and had to push it to get it done. Started out at 300 and by the end of an hour was pushing 375. I wonder if it is against the law to scan a post from a magazine and post since I own it?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    =D> =D> nice cook
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx