Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp thermometer

Options
Sevy
Sevy Posts: 6
does anybody have a suggestion as to what thermometer works the best...I have had several thrown away because of broken cord/wires at the probe end connection.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Instant - Thermapen

For monitoring the cook type of set ups - Tough to go wrong with the Maverick 732. You have to be mindful of how you are treating the probes, but the probes are replaceable.
  • Sevy
    Sevy Posts: 6
    Options
    thanks I will look for this item on line unless you know where to purchase locally.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Check it out on line. Amazon has them usually for <$60. If you buy locally, you will save on the shipping costs so do the math. 
    The 732 is good, like Hap says, treat the probes right. 
    Do not use the pit probe for direct cooks, use the dome thermo. 
    For indirect cooks, position the pit probe over a setter leg or something to shield it from direct burning lump. 
    Wrap the probe cable junction with foil (only a couple of inches) will keep moisture and heat out of the junction. 
    For industrial strength, Thermoworks 8060 is fantastic - but it does not allow remote monitoring and it is at least twice the price of a Maverick. 
    For instant read, the Thermapen. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Firemedic183
    Options
    From all of my research, the thermapen has been undoubtedly the most recommended thermometer.  Mine just arrived in the mail yesterday, and used it last night to check a chicken breast.  For constant monitoring, I am using the BBQ Guru Digiq DX 2 and with only 2 cooks to speak about, it has been fantastic.  Best pork loin  I have ever had.  I hope this helps in my extremely limited experience.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!