Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mako

Mako on the egg tomorrow
Chesapeake, VA
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,805
    I'm jealous. Thats some fine eating. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • We had two but can only keep one. This one was 85 lb
    Chesapeake, VA
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,019
    It looks like it could be 800 pounds.

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I would soak it in milk for at least four hours before the cook -- then treat it as Swordfish.  Takes any "shark taste" out of the steak. 
    ·
  • I would soak it in milk for at least four hours before the cook -- then treat it as
    Swordfish.  Takes any "shark taste" out of the steak. 

I have eaten mako for many of my 70 years and have never soaked it in anything. If I did not like the tast of mako I would not eat it. Would you soak a beef steak? Just my opinion.
    Chesapeake, VA
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have caught and ate many mako sharks.  Some have the typical shark smell which is caused due to the fact that sharks piss thru their flesh/skin.  If(?) the mako is caught - gutted and refrigerated quickly, this is not an issue.  If not, it can have the typical shark taste, this taste can be removed by soaking in milk prior to eating it  The cost per pound is usually close to swordfish or tuna, so the soaking in milk is a cheap method to a good tasting meal.
    ·
  • We have always gutted asap. Perhaps that's why we never needed to soak. Thanks for your knowledge.
    Va and NC fisherman
    Chesapeake, VA
    ·
  • Tail portion of mako on egg.
    Chesapeake, VA
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,055
    How did it taste??
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Taste very much like sowardfish with a hint ofcherry smoke
    Chesapeake, VA
    ·
  • Man that looks good.  I've only had shark once and it was quite tasty. 

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·