Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Control

Options
I just got my Egg on Friday.
I did a test cook yesterday to see what lighting and temperature control would be like.
It took a little bit but I held it at 350 pretty well...it did creep up a little.
What are the best ways to control temp?
How would you keep it at 200 for slow cooks (i.e. pork butt)?
Thanks!
Minneapolis, MN - Large Egg - Newbie as of 3/29/13

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    IMO 200 is to low. My basic is to get it on the way up. If you pass the temp and start playing to lock it in you do that all day.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ag139
    ag139 Posts: 3
    Options
    200 was illustrative...I guess I should have asked what to cook a pork butt at and how to keep the temp there??
  • Rebellab
    Rebellab Posts: 43
    Options
    It has been my experience that after you figure out how wide to place the vents/daisy wheel, I light the egg let it burn for about ten minutes and close down my vents to where I feel I need them. Stabilize for a good while to let the bad smoke burn off and make adjustments as I go. For 250-275 I have bottom vent about 1/4 to 1/2 inch open to start.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I never use the top (daisy wheel). This is how I do a butt, you will find many other ways. TURBO BUTTS · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so (or a couple ) . Note: The butt box is not required.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Each egg will be a little different, depending on the lump (same brand can be different bag to bag); how it is loaded, (placed or dumped); OEM or High-Q grate; how you light it. 
    Generally, I like to low and slow in the 250-275 grid temp range. I'm in no rush so the egg can take an hour to stabilize. 
    After it is lit, I leave the lower vent at about 1" and the daisy wheel on, petals open. I go away for 20 to 30 minutes and the temp will be close to 400 +/- 50. If the VOC's seem to be gone, in goes the setter, drip pan, grid, Maverick pit probe. I adjust lower vent to 1/4" or less, the DFMT petals maybe 1/8" or more. If the smoke is sweet, drop on the meat and watch the temp over the next hour or so and fine tune as needed - usually not too much. In my MBGE the temp will drop to 250-275 with the addition of the set-up and meat. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ag139
    ag139 Posts: 3
    Options
    Great tips!  Keep em coming!  
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Each egg will be a little different, depending on the lump (same brand can be different bag to bag); how it is loaded, (placed or dumped); OEM or High-Q grate; how you light it. 
    Generally, I like to low and slow in the 250-275 grid temp range. I'm in no rush so the egg can take an hour to stabilize. 
    After it is lit, I leave the lower vent at about 1" and the daisy wheel on, petals open. I go away for 20 to 30 minutes and the temp will be close to 400 +/- 50. If the VOC's seem to be gone, in goes the setter, drip pan, grid, Maverick pit probe. I adjust lower vent to 1/4" or less, the DFMT petals maybe 1/8" or more. If the smoke is sweet, drop on the meat and watch the temp over the next hour or so and fine tune as needed - usually not too much. In my MBGE the temp will drop to 250-275 with the addition of the set-up and meat. 
    Almost exactly like I do it expect I use a DiGiQ.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I have the best luck using the lower vent mostly to control temps for low-n-slows. For 250F, the lower vent is only open a crack - about 1/16". I do use the daisy wheel too and those are open about 1/4 of the way or so.

You will find that each cook is different. Vent settings are not always repeatable for the same temps. Differences in weather, humidity, charcoal, etc will change settings. I have found that if we have had rain recently my Egg will require more air to come up to temp. The ceramic will soak up some water and it takes some energy to cook it off. 

The trick is to just roll with it and not over-stress. Make small adjustments and enjoy the challenge of finding that sweet spot for current conditions.