Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trial run Turbo, or not?

Options
I have never done a butt with the turbo method, but I am going to do two, 8-pounders this weekend. My question is, should I do one Friday as a trial run, and then the second one Saturday, or just wait and go for it on Saturday with both at the same time? If I do one Friday, I will need to re heat it Saturday, is that a good idea or not?

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Turbo cooking butts is a no brainer!!  And since this method erases the "stall" period, they will both finish in the same amount of time.  I reheat turbo butts a lot, without a problem, can't tell the difference from fresh off the grill!1 
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Do them both at the same time.  As long as you pull at your target temp, it's an easy cook.  One hint, do all your prep work the night before so all you need to do is light it, wait till smoke is good, pull when ready and enjoy.  Good Luck, post us some pics of the finished product.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    There is more to do than throwing the butts on the grill for proper turbo style cooking!!  You start  off with "low and slow" cooking temperatures - indirect with maximum smoke production until your butt(s) reach "at least" 160 internal degrees.  Then you remove the butt(s) and wrap them in three layers of foil.  Place them back on the grill and continue the cook by bumping the cooking temperatures up to 300 to 330 degrees.  Pull them when the reach 200, and place them in a cooler for at least one hour, before serving.....  The foil will have a couple of cups of liquid to pour or mix back in the pulled pork...  
  • JWBishop
    JWBishop Posts: 12
    Options
    Yep, I am familiar with the method, just haven't used it yet. I have always done the all nighters and want to try the quicker way. I still may do one tomorrow for fun and see just how long it takes. What would be the best way to re-heat it the next day?
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    When you finish the turbo cook -- put the butt in the cooler to rest at least one hour -- then in the refrigerator still in it's foil package.  When you are ready to serve -- about 1 1/2 hours before serving time -- place in an oven at 300 degrees.  Thirty minutes AFTER your house smells like cooked pork -- take the butt out of the oven and shred it with two forks and mix the juices inside the foil to moisten the pork --- serve !