Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wed night wings

Options
Have only had my LBGE for less then a week, three cooks done. Each has been a learning experience. Tonight I experimented with flavor profiles on wings. BBQ, Buffalo, and garlic parmesan. BBQs had 2 with a McCormic rub on two more with Steven Rachlen basic BBQ rub. Buffalo was Franks with melted butter, garlic parmesan was a recipe I found via google. Non bbq where based with EVOO, salt and pepper, some just with EVOO, liked those better, others where too salty. For more varity, tossed some of all types in corn startch, really liked how that worked out. Cooked raised indirect with 400 dome, 40 minutes with a flip at the half. Sauced some of each, bbq was a local commercial sauce, and back on at about 300 dome for 5 minutes to set the sauce. Next time would either reduce time, or drop temp, some where a bit dry. Got to experience many flavor profiles in a single cook, tasty and efficient use of cook. Top wing imho was bbq rub, corn starch, sauce. Then buffalo with evoo only and corn starch.

Comments

• LTAFlynEgg
    Options
    Correction, cooked raised direct, not indirect as I first stated. :-/
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Options
    Looks great! Very similar to my first wing cook this past weekend. The corn starch makes a nice difference. You can also try keeping the wings in the fridge uncovered to dry out the skin overnight. I also trimmed off any extraneous skin but my wife gets weird about the skin.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    High in the dome cooking is what crisps chicken wings -- i go indirect -- on the top two layers of a three tiered grid --350 to 375 --- takes about fourty minutes -- no turning involved.  Come off - get tossed in the sauce of choice and served...   Chicken wings are getting as expensive as steaks!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Wednesday must have been wing night! Did some last night as well.
    Wings on the right were marinaded overnight with Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce.  The wings on the left were left plain for the kids.

Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks great. Was thinking of doing something else tonight, but now you have my attention with wings. haven't done them in awhile. I like the sound of the garlic parm ones. Care to share where you found it?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• LTAFlynEgg
    Options
    @Griffin  The Garlic Parm recipe I worked from was:
    1/2 cup butter melted
    1 Tsp garlic powder
    1/2 Tsp onion salt (I used onion powder, didn't have onion salt in the house)
    1/4 tsp pepper, I used several turns of fresh ground pepper
    Grated parmesan cheese to taste / consistency (have some in a can from local dairy, bigger clumps then Kraft, and better flavor)

I only made half the quantity as above, It didn't look like a lot once in a bowl, but was enough for about 6 wings, full recipe should cover a dozen ? I used the recipe as a guide, didn't follow exact. Some fresh minced garlic would really step up the flavor.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Read the subject line and thought "why would anyone spend their wedding night cooking wings?" That's a die hard Egger.