Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How I Check Probe Calibration

This might seem obvious to some but I'm pretty simple minded. I check all my temp probes at least once a year. Couple years ago I grabbed a piece of scrap plywood and drilled a hole in it. I get a small pan of water up to a rolling boil, dial back the flame some to keep the radiant heat from the sides to a minimum, then lay this across the top. It fits fairly snug so you can control the depth of the probe tip. BTW, this probe was reading 30 degrees low when I first checked it.

Extra Large, Large & Medium eggs, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
·

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,820
    Pretty cool. Mine was 30 low last time too.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • RocEGGRocEGG Posts: 85
    Nice jig! I just held mine with a hot mitt, but that would sure be easy. Mine surprisingly was right on when I checked it when new last summer. Got lucky I guess. Have to check it again soon.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
    ·