Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

My first low and slow...

Still a newbie, I've been using my LBGE for grilling - steaks, chicken, burgers.  Started an 8.5 pound Boston Butt last night.  I opted for the low and slow method to test my ability to maintain temp overnight.  I used the Mojo Pork recipe on nakedwiz.

I loaded up the firebox and threw in a few chunks of pecan wood.  I set up the maverick, installed the platesetter, and after the egg stabilized at 230 degrees I started the cook.  Oh, I also used a drip pan filled with apple juice and water.  For the first few hours I made only a couple of small adjustments until the temp was dialed in at 230.  I started the cook at 5:00 pm and by the time I went to bed at 11:30, the meat temp was at 145.  I woke up at 1:30, the alarm on the Maverick woke me up, the grill temp had fallen to 199 (I set the lower alarm at 200).  The meat temp was at 162.  When I went out to check the vents it was pouring rain.  I adjusted the top vent and went back to bed. I woke up at 4:30 this morning and the grill temp was 194 and the meat temp had fallen to 158.  It was still raining so I opened the bottom vent a little more. 

The grill temp recovered pretty quickly and at 9:am, 16 hours into the cook, The grill temp is 230 and meat is at 180.  I plan to pull the meat when it reaches 200.  I haven't opened the egg since the cook started.

What have I learned so far?  Patience - small adjustments will have an affect on the temps if you wait long enough. Also, I am surprised how long a full load of charcoal will last - 16 hours and going strong. If you are going to do a low and slow, the maverick is awesome! 

Here are a couple of pictures I took when I stared, I'll post more at the end of the cook.

Pork 1.JPG
3264 x 2448 - 3M
Pork 2.JPG
3264 x 2448 - 3M
Ringgold, Georgia

Comments