Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

I am cooking grouper on the egg today and want to try the mayo method. Has anybody had success mixing seasoning (like Old Bay) in the mayo?
"If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,868
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Grouper is a very mild - "lean" (meaning it is not fishy tasting)  so be careful on any seasoning because it will cover up the real taste of the fish --  i would only baste with some lemon or garlic butter. 
  • I ended up mixing some Tony C's into mayo and lightly coating the grouper. Came out awesome. (Also, I always soak my fish in milk for a couple of hours to remove any "fishiness", although this was fresh Florida gulf grouper which probably didn't need it.) Thanks for the recipe travisstrick, it looks awesome.
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,655
    No mayo. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The "soaking in milk" thing is for strong tasting fish like kingfish, mackrel, amberjack,strippers, bluefish.  Another fish that used to be substituted for grouper is tilefish -- very similar in taste and texture.
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    The Grouper Cheeks are the filets of the sea. Look for those next time you buy Fish.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"