Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Grouper

I am cooking grouper on the egg today and want to try the mayo method. Has anybody had success mixing seasoning (like Old Bay) in the mayo?
"If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,895
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Grouper is a very mild - "lean" (meaning it is not fishy tasting)  so be careful on any seasoning because it will cover up the real taste of the fish --  i would only baste with some lemon or garlic butter. 
  • I ended up mixing some Tony C's into mayo and lightly coating the grouper. Came out awesome. (Also, I always soak my fish in milk for a couple of hours to remove any "fishiness", although this was fresh Florida gulf grouper which probably didn't need it.) Thanks for the recipe travisstrick, it looks awesome.
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 17,447
    No mayo. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The "soaking in milk" thing is for strong tasting fish like kingfish, mackrel, amberjack,strippers, bluefish.  Another fish that used to be substituted for grouper is tilefish -- very similar in taste and texture.
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    The Grouper Cheeks are the filets of the sea. Look for those next time you buy Fish.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.