Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And so it begins... first brisket!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @aviator... did you let it cool?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TxAg93
    TxAg93 Posts: 124
    Well it finished a bit earlier than I expected, but I think I've got a winner.  I'll find out in a few hours. 
  • yep- that looks awesome. Look how fat that point is! You are going to be eating right today.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TxAg93 said:
    Well it finished a bit earlier than I expected, but I think I've got a winner.  I'll find out in a few hours. 
    what did you use for rub? cool color. Mine are usually black
  • TxAg93
    It was a 50/50 blend between Bubba's BBQ Multipurpose Beef Rub and Zach's Brisket Rub.  I also added some turbinado sugar in it to help with the bark.
  • yeah, mine usually look like they fell out of the sky while blowing out windows over Russia. I kind of like that red color though.

• TxAg93
    I pulled it off at 188 since the probe test said it was ready (perhaps because it was USDA choice?). Another hour or two more on the egg might have resulted in a comparable space rock.  I don't know.  I'm looking forward to slicing it to see what type of smoke ring I got.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I feel proud my last one looks like Cen-Tex's

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Mine too.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • TxAg93 said:
    I pulled it off at 188 since the probe test said it was ready (perhaps because it was USDA choice?). Another hour or two more on the egg might have resulted in a comparable space rock.  I don't know.  I'm looking forward to slicing it to see what type of smoke ring I got.
    they can be ready at 188. especially if you are resting it for while. The temp will come up as much as 10 degrees in the cooler hold.

Don't worry about the smoke ring too much. I never get them unless I manipulate it. last brisket I did was one of the best I've ever done. zero smoke ring. None of the great brisket places down here ever have them. It's all show (even though it looks cool). Those guys at eggs by the bay have awesome smoke rings on theirs but they do it the same way I do. I wonder if it's climate/humidity or something. 

• okienine
    okienine Posts: 43
    Well I made the rookie mistake, had to step away for a couple errands, when I left at 180, got back to 199, the tenderness test was good, so I pulled it, but it definitely looks dry, from the looks of things I should of checked it a 180... it is wrapped and resting so we will see when I cut it, but the first attempt looks like i fell short of the mark. Forgot to get pick before I wrapped it, but believe me your not missing anything... Looks like chopped brisket sandwiches are in my future.
    McAlester, Ok. Large and Mini Egg
  • TxAg93
    I bet it'll still be great.
  • okienine
    okienine Posts: 43
    TxAg93 said:

Looks good TxAg93!
    McAlester, Ok. Large and Mini Egg
  • TxAg93
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker What rub do you use?
  • okienine said:
    Well I made the rookie mistake, had to step away for a couple errands, when I left at 180, got back to 199, the tenderness test was good, so I pulled it, but it definitely looks dry, from the looks of things I should of checked it a 180... it is wrapped and resting so we will see when I cut it, but the first attempt looks like i fell short of the mark. Forgot to get pick before I wrapped it, but believe me your not missing anything... Looks like chopped brisket sandwiches are in my future.
    nah, you are fine. you did everything right. 199 is perfect. let it rest a bit then let it cool a bit before slicing. I bet it's way better than you think. And what's bad about chopped brisket sammies? One of my favorite things of all time. I wish all my cooking screw ups could result in such great food!

• TxAg93 said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker What rub do you use?
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub

I've tried them all. It's the best I've found for brisket. It can be really salty though so don't cake it on like you can with some rubs. makes a great sweet sticky smoky bark

I really like Salt Lick too but they use a lot of Cayenne and one bottle can be crazy hot while the next is perfect. They don't have the best QC. It's crap shoot with them so I've stopped buying it.

• okie- they are rarely, if ever, done at 180 so you didn't screw it up. 
  • TxAg93
    @TheCenTexSmoker Have you tried the Grand Champion rub by Texas BBQ Rub? Curious about it.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    TxAg93 said:
    they can be ready at 188. especially if you are resting it for while. The temp will come up as much as 10 degrees in the cooler hold.

Don't worry about the smoke ring too much. I never get them unless I manipulate it. last brisket I did was one of the best I've ever done. zero smoke ring. None of the great brisket places down here ever have them. It's all show (even though it looks cool). Those guys at eggs by the bay have awesome smoke rings on theirs but they do it the same way I do. I wonder if it's climate/humidity or something. 

I got a pretty good smoke ring here in Ga.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TxAg93 said:
    @TheCenTexSmoker Have you tried the Grand Champion rub by Texas BBQ Rub? Curious about it.
    I have. @cazzy sent me some a while back. I thought it was really good but it was too sweet for me. The quality is great, just wasn't my favorite flavor profile. I would try it again though. I go through phases on what I like. Right now, I'm loving the Bad Byrons. The last 3 or 4 briskets I made ad it and I got more compliments than ever. It's also when I started doing the rest and let it cool down trick but the flavor and bark texture (even after a long hold in the cooler) have been awesome since I switched to it a few months ago. i'm doing another one tonight. Just have to back that Salado brisket up so I don't forget what I did. Brisket for dinner tomorrow night.

come to think of it, I still have some of that grand champ left. I don't think enough to do a whole brisket. I say go for it though. It's really good quality stuff

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited March 2013
    henapple said:
    @aviator... did you let it cool?

Yes, I did. But then, not to confuse the issue, I tried the Travis way.

It sure tastes so wonderfully good.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• TxAg93
    @Cen-Tex thanks. The wife would probably not prefer the sweet rub as much as I would (we are still talking brisket right?). Anyways, thanks for the 4-1-1.
  • jbva
    jbva Posts: 11
    edited March 2013
    doing my first one today too.  It is small, about 5 lbs.  Anyone know if I should put on tonight about 11 or just early in the morning being so small?  Its marinating in fridge now so i think it will keep until tomorrow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082

@jbva-go with the AM but depending on your dome temp expect around 2hrs/#.  And given the new intelligence from C-T's blind luck after the FTC let it cool for a while. 

BTW-@ C-T I found me a boutique butcher shop-had packers at (are you ready...) $9.99/#-yup you read that right.  Took a big pass and told them to sell those around the Derby to the high-rollers from TX. 

:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @jbva- just depends on when you want to eat and at which temp you are planning to cook.You can easily do them in an hr per lb at 275-300 and more like 1.5-2 hrs per lb at 225 ish. Either way you should be able to get it done tomorrow and I think it would be less stressful on your first if you didn't feel like you needed to get out of bed to check on it. 
  • TxAg93
    What happened when C-T let it cool in the FTC???
  • lousubcap said:

@jbva-go with the AM but depending on your dome temp expect around 2hrs/#.  And given the new intelligence from C-T's blind luck after the FTC let it cool for a while. 

BTW-@ C-T I found me a boutique butcher shop-had packers at (are you ready...) $9.99/#-yup you read that right.  Took a big pass and told them to sell those around the Derby to the high-rollers from TX. 

:)>-
    wow!!!! They get around $5 here at the fancy places but $2.50 is kind of the sweet spot. that is nuts. I would stick with your flats and try the cool down method. I have a good feeling about this......

• jbva
    jbva Posts: 11
    sorry but i am new, what is FTC?
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Foil, Towel ,Cooler 
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO