Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie fest cook info

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
With the upcoming fests and newbies (like me) contemplating cooking...here's a few tips from a seasoned (lmao) fest cooker.

Cook. Just do it. You'll love it.

Have a placard or sign very visible with info about ingredients, cook time, variables, ...it'll be ok the first 50 times you're asked these questions but after awhile you'll feel like a robot. Next time i cook I'll have index cards printed up. Not being rude but it can be overwhelming.

Pre-prep as much as possible. Travis showed up with yellow fin tuna dip and venison meatloaf...both ready to cook and both a huge hit. He cooked while i prepped.

Simple is good. Sancho 65 was cranking out tortilla pizzas as fast as him and his wife could. Simple but a huge hit.

Dessert. After pounds of meat folks like dessert.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    That's a lot of good info.

So many great items cooked. Travis' and Sancho's were for sure. I tasted the tuna dip first as soon as i got there and knew it was going to be a good day. I stopped going back for more of Sancho's pizza because I thought the cameras were still on. 

But your bacon wrapped pears were pretty freakin awesome too!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    What henapple really means is that I sampled the local adult beverages while he cooked. 
    I am ready for some more tuna dip.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Sample? I tripped over your throw aways all day but Mickey said my job was to clean up after you.....
  • henapple
    Caliking...thanks. I had fun...even cooking beside the originator of the "Travis method".
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Really looking forward to cooking at the Plano Eggfest. Went last year to observe and taste and had a ball. My kids want to help me, do they allow that? Also, a buddy and I want to cook together, do you get two eggs or do they just provide you with one to share? Either way is fine.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Plano_JJ said:
    Really looking forward to cooking at the Plano Eggfest. Went last year to observe and taste and had a ball. My kids want to help me, do they allow that? Also, a buddy and I want to cook together, do you get two eggs or do they just provide you with one to share? Either way is fine.

It seems like it depends on the relative supply of cooks and Eggs.  However, one thing that Mickey and Spring Chicken tried to tell me (OK, they DID tell me) was that you don't want to be cooking the whole time. For example, I didn't know that there were any bacon-wrapped pears in Salado until after I got him and read about them - and apparently they were cooked about 20 feet from me.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Here's one thing I noticed that may help out in the future - some cooks had their prep tables raised up on those bed risers that Bed Bath & Beyond type places sell. Raised the table up 6" or so. Their backs must have thanked them later. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    caliking said:
    Here's one thing I noticed that may help out in the future - some cooks had their prep tables raised up on those bed risers that Bed Bath & Beyond type places sell. Raised the table up 6" or so. Their backs must have thanked them later. 

Saw that last year and forgot to get them this year.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    @Plano_JJ I will try my best to make it to the Plano fest and cook something that will be worthy of a fest in Texas.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mickey said:
    caliking said:

Saw that last year and forgot to get them this year.
    You can fabricate 2x4 super cheap, throw away risers for about $2-3 each.  Just lemme know.
    I mean for the plans, unless I get there early.
    Foghorn said:
    Plano_JJ said:

It seems like it depends on the relative supply of cooks and Eggs.  However, one thing that Mickey and Spring Chicken tried to tell me (OK, they DID tell me) was that you don't want to be cooking the whole time. For example, I didn't know that there were any bacon-wrapped pears in Salado until after I got him and read about them - and apparently they were cooked about 20 feet from me.

Good to know, hadn't thought of that
  • Plano_JJ
    Solson005 said:
    @Plano_JJ I will try my best to make it to the Plano fest and cook something that will be worthy of a fest in Texas.
    From what I have seen you cook, that wont be an issue. Cmon down, I'll buy you a col one
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited March 2013
    I have cooked at the Eggtoberfest for the last 5 years and I think it works best when we share an egg with a friend. We will get together a week or two prior and do a sample cook and drink a little or a lot! We will have our menu and do our prep prior to arriving and work as a team so we can all enjoy the fest. Last year one of our cooks was Bacon Explosions, damn were those good. We have a group of 6 that cook every year (The Green Man Group) and we use either 3 or 4 eggs, it works great as you are not tied to the egg all day and can take turns sampling and talking to other cooks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Plano_JJ said:
    I put on the Plano Outlaw Eggfest . Your kids are more than welcome to cook with you! We have always had plenty of eggs for our cooks. I'm sure you will be able to use two. If  we don't have enough for you to use two, I'll bring one of mine for you to use. See? Easy!
  • Plano_JJ
    hornhonk said:
    Plano_JJ said:
    I put on the Plano Outlaw Eggfest . Your kids are more than welcome to cook with you! We have always had plenty of eggs for our cooks. I'm sure you will be able to use two. If  we don't have enough for you to use two, I'll bring one of mine for you to use. See? Easy!
    Steve, you and I met at Hirsch's then again at the Eggfest back in Nov. I had my in laws, wife and two little girls with me. Hope to see you soon. Are you still cooking at Elliott's?
  • Plano_JJ
    JRWhitee said:
    I have cooked at the Eggtoberfest for the last 5 years and I think it works best when we share an egg with a friend. We will get together a week or two prior and do a sample cook and drink a little or a lot! We will have our menu and do our prep prior to arriving and work as a team so we can all enjoy the fest. Last year one of our cooks was Bacon Explosions, damn were those good. We have a group of 6 that cook every year (The Green Man Group) and we use either 3 or 4 eggs, it works great as you are not tied to the egg all day and can take turns sampling and talking to other cooks.
    I like your prep idea. The thought of cooking and drinking prior to cooking and drinking is just terrible :-O
  • As a noob to cooking for others not related or acquainted with me, I'm taking all this advice to heart.  Thank you!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Take time to enjoy the Fest. Don't cook over 2.5 hours. Tough to meet people and not cut off a finger.