Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor radio/speaker options

Comments

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Sonos zone player connected to generic outdoor speakers from Costco. Nothing easier than handing the Sonos controller to guests and letting them play DJ while you cook.
    Mamaroneck
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    edited March 2013
    oh get ones that look like rocks, no one will ever know where the music is coming from :)image
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    Sonos! - Nothing more to say.  I would go with the Polk Atriums for outdoor speakers - they sound great.

Garnerville, NY
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    sWMBO got me a Soundfreaq Soundkick for Christmas. It's a small Bluetooth speaker. Incredible sound for such a small speaker. You can hard plug your phone, iPad, or computer into it by USB, or connect through Bluetooth. I love the portability of it. I use Pandora for most of my music, and it works great. Only downfall is you can't listen to regular radio, but many stations are on iHeart Radio.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    That sonos looks fancy! I bet I can figure out how to do it with airport with my iPhone an Mac and network.

@Bham_egger
    It's usually pandora for me as well. We do have a few good stations around tho

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Wireless Bose speaker that I play my iPhone to.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have Bose outdoor speakers that are tied into my Bose home theater and they work great. #3 on Pandora

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That's why I love my screened in patio so much.  I bought a stereo and leave it in it.  Radio, CD, iPod, computer hookup to listen to anything that I have.  The screened in patio is off my TV room, so I can sit out there and see my TV from my chair.  I'm thinking of adding another TV out on the patio as well.  It's my favorite spot to be outside of winter time.

I have a friend that has a series of the Sonos speakers outside on their patio and around the pool.  They are easy to use and sound good as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• CSRAEgger
    CSRAEgger Posts: 18
    Logitech UE box is great. Doesn't break the bank, easy to use, portable, and sounds good for a compact radio. You can buy it cheaper through Amazon. http://ue.logitech.com/en-us/smart-radios
  • MrCookingNurse
    @chubbs
    I think I need to look a bit more this way and just integrate outdoor speakers into a full home system.

I don't have a huge music library, that's why radio and pandora are a must, Internet access to whatever is the player.

XLBGE 
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    What happened to just plugging your phone or laptop into a speaker bar (pick your brand) and streaming rhapsody, Pandora, I heart radio etc..? You can get a good quality speaker bar for $100 or so and just use that until you are ready to spend the big money on a nice setup. That is what I am currently doing before I invest about 3-5k on a whole house setup. Works great, and for that matter you can connect a stereo system outside as long as it has an AUX in. Cheap and decent while deciding what components you really want.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• MrCookingNurse
    @michigan_jason

You mean something like this??

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • michigan_jason
    @michigan_jason You mean something like this?? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Precisely!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Borrow @nolaegghead huge boom box...although it might get "broke" in Salado.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    As far as job site radios go I have a Makita one that has input jacks for a iPod. It runs off the 18 volt battery my tools take and lasts for 16 hours. I used the heck out of it on some construction projects and it is still ticking. Rather than most companies buying a radio and slapping their name on it, makita built a tough radio and put speakers in it. So it isn't the best sound but you can't beat the battery life if you already have the tools. 

For my patio I use a apple airport express hooked to a small stereo and can use any iPod / iPhone connected to the network to play music using airplay. I originally got the airport express to setup a personal network while I was traveling for work and now it works great for the patio. Much better than having to leave a phone plugged in and being able to change the song from anywhere in the backyard is nice too. It also expands your wifi network if you want to do some work forum checking outside. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    @solson005
    Can you play pandora through the airplay?
    I'm thinking this setup might be best. I've already got a lot of the parts

XLBGE 
  • michigan_jason
    edited March 2013
    @solson005 Can you play pandora through the airplay? I'm thinking this setup might be best. I've already got a lot of the parts

Yes, your iphone or ipod can have Pandora or and other music app installed.

• Solson005
    You sure can! I do it all the time, although I don't know if you have seen but pandora only lets you listen for 40 hours free a month..  :(( so I switch it up and don't use it all the time now. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Ah come on man, that's why you get three accounts ;)

XLBGE 
  • michigan_jason
    edited March 2013
    Solson005 said:
    You sure can! I do it all the time, although I don't know if you have seen but pandora only lets you listen for 40 hours free a month..  :(( so I switch it up and don't use it all the time now. 

The reason I bought Pandora one, and recently Rhapsody. I love being able to listen to a specific album/artist/song, when you want, not when Pandora actually plays one of them.

• Solson005
    Yeah if I go back to working at home I will definitely look into paying for the songs I want @michigan_jason

Thats part of the problem when I setup a few family members phones I used the same account as mine to save time. I guess I could have my iPod, iPhone, and iPad all have different accounts and since its all streaming I could rotate them all month.. 

What about this from Restoration Hardware?
  • michigan_jason
    Solson005 said:
    Yeah if I go back to working at home I will definitely look into paying for the songs I want @michigan_jason

Thats part of the problem when I setup a few family members phones I used the same account as mine to save time. I guess I could have my iPod, iPhone, and iPad all have different accounts and since its all streaming I could rotate them all month.. 

What about this from Restoration Hardware?
    The cool thing about Pandora is that you can give others the log in and password for it. The owner of the company I used to work at gave his to 50 employees and they all use it.

• robnybbq
    SONOS can play Pandora and allot of other music feeds.  Plus free internet radio stations.  Some are decent and no commercials too.  I was goign to use a box radio but I will forget it outside and or if a sudden rain storm comes about that's one more thing I have to grab and bring inside.  Now I just grab a cocktail, a cigar, use my iphone (or PC) and grab a seat outside and push PLAY.  Done.

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just built a water proof go-pro like cabinet for an old junk TV I had laying around.  Dug a hole the back yard and poured some cement - it will sit out in the open on a couple of posts.  I'll have to rig up a receiver and speakers since the TV speakers are kinda useless in the cabinet....

Here are some (crappy) pics of where I'm at.  I got a buddy fabricating a rotating bushing that the wires will go through so I can rotate it.

imageimageimageimage
    Nola is my idol!

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    My patio is pretty small but thinking about closing in and adding some speakers. Currently I just hook phone or iPad to a cheap iHome speaker. Off topic question: what size patio do y'all have?
    Boom
  • robnybbq
    My second story deck is 14x24.  We would like to add a lower level that is the height of the above ground pool as well.  I just need to win the lotto or play it even.

Garnerville, NY
  • MrCookingNurse
    @nolaegghead

Pretty sweet my man!

@fanoffanboys

If your thinking of closing in your patio than it is lots bigger than mine. I think mine is 10 sq ft

XLBGE 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Sonos with outdoor Klipsh speakers rocking out the neighborhood.  I have sonos controllers on my computer and music center amp so I can play Pandora, free digital radio, comcast music channels, and CDs.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    henapple said:
    Borrow @nolaegghead huge boom box...although it might get "broke" in Salado.
    I'll have to chain that ghetto blaster to a tree!