Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Baby Backs! Love em

Picked up two racks of pork ribs (baby back) at the commissary on Friday.  Covered them in a variation of Mickey's Coffee Rub:

2 TBSP iodized salt 
2 TBSP ground black pepper
3 TBSP turbinado sugar 
2 TBSP mccormick's tuscan italian seasoning
3 TBSP espresso coffee grounds (fine)
1 TBSP smoked paprika (hungarian)
1 TBSP cumin
1 TSP chipotle chile pepper 

Put the ribs on at 1100; temperature at 225.   Pulled at 5 1/2 hours.  Cooked with membrane side up.  Did not flip - only checked internal temperature until reached 180.  Let rest for 30 minutes.  Pulled them apart to serve.  Very easy cook.  

A real winner.  Definitely the ying and yang of warrior food.  

Only thing missing was a plate of farro.  Felt like I just finished a foot march with Julius Caesar.  

Comments

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 5,019
    Nice cook!!

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Miles do you mail? Wow
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 3,135
    When you said you cooked membrane side up I'm assuming you pulled the membrane prior?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,910
    Looks great! I'll have to give that soup a try sometime!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,687
    @Scottborasjr when you assume you make an "ASS out of U and ME".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 3,135
    @henapple
    =))

yep
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • 500500 Posts: 1,798
    Maybe Miles left the membrane to retain moisture in the rib, as long as we're assuming.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,723
    Looks great, Miles!
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Oh yeah I left the membrane on - read somewheres that it helps retain moisture.  I really should try to cook without - is it better?  I don't believe I have ever had them without......
    Oh yeah I left the membrane on - read somewheres that it helps retain moisture.  I really should try to cook without - is it better?  I don't believe I have ever had them without......
    Miles the rub will not go into the membrane on the back side. Best to pull my friend. Same with beef ribs (have you done beef ribs yet).
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Mickey I haven't done any beef ribs.  I will give it a try next time.  Thanks!

edited March 2013

A few of you may have seen I put on the Salado EggFest. During the first one 3 years ago I called Miles for a favor (he was commander of a unit on Fort Hood and taken me on a live fire demo on Fort Hood). The hotel for the Fest is a Inn just across the creek (8 to 12" deep) from where we have the Fest in the park. I had ask if Miles could get me a portable bridge and a company of men to place it so we could just walk over the water. Well Miles' unit just would blow up crap and had no bridges. I just did not need the park or Inn leveled.  Long way of saying Miles is one of the good guys.