Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Trying a new lump charcoal

Anyone tried "Nature-Glo" hardwood lump made by Royal Oak?  I'm usually a Wicked user, but my guy was out.
Thanks

Comments

• LoggerLogger Posts: 248
    Looks like a good one to try out if Wicked Good is not available.
    See here...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag43.htm

OKC area  XL - Medium
  • scooter759scooter759 Posts: 248
    I've heard it's really good, but can't find it here in MN.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Ah, forgot to check naked whiz.  Thanks.  Will give it a go on some baby backs tomorrow.

• Hi Everyone:

I was watching a video and this guy mentioned there was a lump charcoal that doesn't impart any flavor to the food. I didn't catch the type of wood/name. My family doesn't like any smoky taste when I'm making bird....thought I would get some (if it exists) when I do Thanksgiving turkey.

Cheers,

Alex
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 1,915
    aomsen2 said:
    Hi Everyone:

I was watching a video and this guy mentioned there was a lump charcoal that doesn't impart any flavor to the food. I didn't catch the type of wood/name. My family doesn't like any smoky taste when I'm making bird....thought I would get some (if it exists) when I do Thanksgiving turkey.

Cheers,

Alex

It's not necessarily a certain brand, but more the carbon content of the charcoal.  The higher the carbon content, the less wood that's left in the charcoal.  Less wood = less smoke.

If you get a charcoal that is under-carbonized, or if full of molding/floor scrap, it's going to smoke like crazy......and not that's necessarily the flavor(s) of smoke you want.  If that happens with a mesquite based charcoal, you could ruin that turkey.

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,489
    aomsen2 said:
    Hi Everyone:

Cheers,

Alex
    Wicked Good is the least 'smoke flavored' I've used.  If you don't add wood chips/chunks, you will get almost no smoke flavor.